Huge Tire Volume

/ Huge Tire Volume #11  
MtnViewRanch,

What did you choose to use for ballast fluid?

Anti freeze and water, zero problems for 7 years now. I had waited for a year before I filled my tires on the 7520, big big mistake. I waited 1 week before I filled them on my 3215, a little over 4 years now, trouble free. ;)

/ Huge Tire Volume #12  
You can usually get antifreeze from salvage yards for cheap. That will be your least expensive route. If you call around, you may even find one that will put it in the tires if you go there.

/ Huge Tire Volume #13  
Anti freeze and water, zero problems for 7 years now. I had waited for a year before I filled my tires on the 7520, big big mistake. I waited 1 week before I filled them on my 3215, a little over 4 years now, trouble free. ;)
So doesn't filling the front tires make the tractor ride rougher? With a 1/4 the air volume the "spring rate" increases sharply at an equal pressure to start with, compared to unloaded fronts.
I assume this is why some manufacturers don't recommend loading the front tires. I like my unloaded R1's for the smoother ride especially with a loaded bucket.

/ Huge Tire Volume #14  
So doesn't filling the front tires make the tractor ride rougher? With a 1/4 the air volume the "spring rate" increases sharply at an equal pressure to start with, compared to unloaded fronts.
I assume this is why some manufacturers don't recommend loading the front tires. I like my unloaded R1's for the smoother ride especially with a loaded bucket.

I loaded all 4 at the same time, never tried the tractor with just loaded rears. My tractor weighs in at 12,000lbs with loader & ballast. What I do know is that the ride is far superior with the tires filled than when they were not. The tractor was like a balloon and yes the tires were filled to the proper inflation.The fronts hold a load much better being loaded rather than just air.

As far as a harsh ride because of the fronts being loaded, If I understand what you are saying about the "spring rate", I suppose that it may come into play if I were to drive down the road at a higher speed with a load in the bucket and hit a hole or a bump. I do not do that and don't think that I would ever do that and would not advise anyone to do that. A person should not move about at a high rate of speed when traveling with a load.

But maybe I am just misunderstanding what you have said? :confused:

/ Huge Tire Volume #15  
But maybe I am just misunderstanding what you have said? :confused:
Nope, you've got what I was trying to say. It's probably my lack of a dump trailer, but I do find myself travelling up and down my not so smooth driveway with a loaded bucket quite often... Maybe I'm worried about nothing but if I watch the front end closely, the tires do smooth out the bumps quite abit.

Last edited:
   / Huge Tire Volume #16  
Nope, you've got what I was trying to say. It's probably my lack of a dump trailer, but I do find myself travelling up and down my not so smooth driveway with a loaded bucket quite often... Maybe I'm worried about nothing but if I watch the front end closely, the tires do smooth out the bumps quite abit.

It sounds like you need one of these to get your road a bit smoother.

Attachments

• P4190015.JPG
    P4190015.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 125
   / Huge Tire Volume #17  
It sounds like you need one of these to get your road a bit smoother.

Our driveway is just pit run so its full of cobbles and the odd volley ball sized rock, so really we need about 200 yards of gravel to put on top...Then I can smooth it out... Some how that cheque never gets written! Oh well the drive is still quite passable without 4wd so we'll put it off:laughing:

/ Huge Tire Volume

In the past I have only filled the rear tires but I am still undecided about this new one. I may try all 4 filled. I rarely, (never), drive the tractor anywhere at much above a working speed so I just don't think I would suffer from "ride" issues. However I am very interested in improving the overall stability on the serious slopes I have in the pasture.

/ Huge Tire Volume #19  
In the past I have only filled the rear tires but I am still undecided about this new one. I may try all 4 filled. I rarely, (never), drive the tractor anywhere at much above a working speed so I just don't think I would suffer from "ride" issues. However I am very interested in improving the overall stability on the serious slopes I have in the pasture.

Both of my Mahindras have all four tires filled. They both travel at maximum speed just fine in my opinion. I have not traveled at full speed with a full bucket, and do not advise this to be done. Now if they only had air in the front tires would they ride better, I have no idea and will not find out because they ride just fine filled. You will find that the fronts will hold a load much better when they are filled. In my opinion, there are more positives to having them filled vs negatives.

Just my opinion based on what has worked for me in my circumstances. ;)

/ Huge Tire Volume #20  
Filling the fronts doesn't help with stability unless you are worried about going over backwards. By the time you get tilted over to the side to start lifting the uphill front tire I think its committed to going over.
I also don't think you have to be going super fast to put extra load on the front axle with filled fronts, but mtnview's experience shows that it may not matter. I know theoretically its got to be a bit harder on the front end but so are R4's over R1's. I'd fill the fronts for more traction if you need that but I don't think there's any other benefits.