Quote Originally Posted by IndyIan View Post
Filling the fronts doesn't help with stability unless you are worried about going over backwards. By the time you get tilted over to the side to start lifting the uphill front tire I think its committed to going over.
I also don't think you have to be going super fast to put extra load on the front axle with filled fronts, but mtnview's experience shows that it may not matter. I know theoretically its got to be a bit harder on the front end but so are R4's over R1's. I'd fill the fronts for more traction if you need that but I don't think there's any other benefits.
2 known benefits, more traction as has been mentioned and better load carrying capacity. With 75% fluid, when the tire gets a load on it, the remaining 25%volume of air pressure goes up much faster cutting down on how much the tire will bulge thus saving the tire side wall from damage. Now I suppose that one could argue that the tire is now over pressure and that may very well be. What I do know is that my front tires no longer get great big bulges in them even with lesser air pressure in them.

As far as the additional wear, I have no doubt that it does make things wear faster, how much for any of us weekenders or part timers is what I believe to be so insignificant that it flat out does not make any difference.

Actually I believe that even for a full time user that the benefits so far out way the negatives that it is foolish to not have your tires filled. Now this may not be true for a tractor that is used mainly for lawn care, but other than that, I believe that filled is the way to go.

But again, this is ONLY my opinion.