Huge Tire Volume

/ Huge Tire Volume #1  

flatpik6

Bronze Member
Tractor
2011 Mahindra 5035, 2013 JD X738
Picking up my new Mahindra 5035 from a dealer in FL on Thursday for use at my home in the mountains of Western NC. For several reason, filling the tires is a must for me. I had wanted to go with Rimguard but after working with their sales rep., it's clear that there are no convenient dealers anywhere near to me. She did suggest that I may be able to travel to Asheville, NC and buy the Rim Guard in bulk from the dealer there. Since the FL dealer I am getting the tractor from normally uses only water to fill with, I am left to figure out how I can obtain a bulk supply of fluid and fill them myself.

The rears will use 73 gallons each and the fronts 22 gallons each. That's a total of 190 gallons so I guess it would take 4 @ "55 gallon drums". Man that seems like a HUGE amount of fluid to fill these tires.

It's a simple job but I have no idea where to find either bulk RV Anti-Freeze or bulk Windshield Washer Fluid. My preference is the RV antifreeze if I can't get the Rim Guard. Any suggestions??

/ Huge Tire Volume #2  
Just a couple questions;why fill the fronts,most don't.In FL.why not use water for a fill medium,no chance of freezeing. I have Rimguard but about 1500 miles north.RimGuard will be heavier for sure.

/ Huge Tire Volume #3  
You might want to look into this. SIERRA Antifreeze Product Page (FAQ) Much safer than regular anti-freeze and much less costly than buying 55 gal drums. I have had it in one tractor for 10 years without any problems in N. Georgia. It mixes with water like regular antifreeze to get the protection point you want.

Have you checked with Mahindra about loading front tires? At least some manufacture do not recommend that because of the added stress on front end parts.

MarkV

/ Huge Tire Volume
Just a couple questions;why fill the fronts,most don't.In FL.why not use water for a fill medium,no chance of freezeing. I have Rimguard but about 1500 miles north.RimGuard will be heavier for sure.

nybirdman,

First let me say that any "birdman" is a good man as far as I'm concerned. Upland bird hunting is a passion of mine.

In fact I may not fill the fronts.

You may have missed in my note that the tractor is for use at my home in the Western NC mountains. Buying it in FL because that's where my primary home is.

/ Huge Tire Volume
You might want to look into this. SIERRA Antifreeze Product Page (FAQ) Much safer than regular anti-freeze and much less costly than buying 55 gal drums. I have had it in one tractor for 10 years without any problems in N. Georgia. It mixes with water like regular antifreeze to get the protection point you want.

Have you checked with Mahindra about loading front tires? At least some manufacture do not recommend that because of the added stress on front end parts.

MarkV

markV,

Great tip on the Sierra. I will be looking at that info this morning. Thanks. I am not committed to loading the front tires. On previous tractors I have NOT loaded the fronts.

/ Huge Tire Volume #6  
markV,

Great tip on the Sierra. I will be looking at that info this morning. Thanks. I am not committed to loading the front tires. On previous tractors I have NOT loaded the fronts.

Should have mentioned that I was able to buy at the local auto parts store so no shipping if you decide to use it.

MarkV

/ Huge Tire Volume #7  
Have you looked at using wheel weights ?
Here in N. NV a lot of us go that route.

E/S

/ Huge Tire Volume #8  
Wheel weights are expensive and I believe that there are no provisions provided for them on the 5035 either.

I would fill all four tires if it were me, in fact that is just what I did on both of my Mahindras. A 7520 and a 3215. It has worked out very well for me. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

/ Huge Tire Volume
Wheel weights are expensive and I believe that there are no provisions provided for them on the 5035 either.

I would fill all four tires if it were me, in fact that is just what I did on both of my Mahindras. A 7520 and a 3215. It has worked out very well for me. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MtnViewRanch,

What did you choose to use for ballast fluid?

/ Huge Tire Volume #10  
In my area we use Methanol mixed with water since the 70's. It's the cheapest way and I've never seen a problem with it. Every tractor dealer and tire place that installs ag tires has it here. If you can't find it there look for go cart racing suppliers in that area. They use it for fuel.