Not ANOTHER tire ballast question ;)

/ Not ANOTHER tire ballast question ;) #1  

rockyridgefarm

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT347
I have run WW fluid in my tires, and realize that it is Water + a wee bit of alcohol.

Can I just add some alcohol to some water and achieve the same?

I know the manual says don't use alcohol. Is that just overly cautious; or good sense?

I saw a post from dourobob that alluded to this practice in balmy ontario...

/ Not ANOTHER tire ballast question ;) #2  
Sure. I would suggest Jack Daniels or at least a good scotch. Stay away from dark rums due to the sugar content. I wouldn't use wine as it might turn to vinegar. And beer might be hard to keep in as it foams up. And check what the minimum legal drinking age is for tractors in your state.

/ Not ANOTHER tire ballast question ;) #3  
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif NOW THAT FUNNY !!!

/ Not ANOTHER tire ballast question ;) #4  
A few years ago I remember reading an article about fuel line ruptures in older cars when they were involved in an accident. According to the article the rubber in the fuel lines deteriorated and cracked due to the alcohol/methanol in the reformulated gasoline. New fuel line hose has supposedly been redesigned to handle the new fuel. This may be the reason there is an advisory to not use alcohol in the tires. It may shorten the life of the rubber in the tires. This is just my best guess, and not based on any fact.

/ Not ANOTHER tire ballast question ;) #5  
Mike- I think it is the alcohol vs. rubber issue, as Bubba mentioned, that is their concern. How cold does it get where you are? Out here we just use water (typical minimum temp- mid twenties). The only problem I've heard of was when the temp dropped to the lower teens and the tractor was moved when the ice was in the slush stage. Apparently the icicles punctured some tubes. Sounds a bit bizzare, but this is from a tire guy that's been in the business for 18 years.
BTW- the 4310 finally arrived- will have some pics of the hydraulics as time permits. It finally quit raining out here, so I've been busy.

/ Not ANOTHER tire ballast question ;) #6  
rockyridgefarm,
Most dealers in NW AR, just over the line from you use methanol alcohol in tractor tires. They have been doing it for at least 30 years.

/ Not ANOTHER tire ballast question ;)
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( BTW- the 4310 finally arrived )</font>

Al right, Stan, guess your havin a great time now!

Thanks for all your insightful help!

/ Not ANOTHER tire ballast question ;) #8  
<font color="blue"> I would suggest Jack Daniels or at least a good scotch. </font>

Oh, that is just a waste - used to call it "alcohol abuse" in college /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.