Tire pressures

/ Tire pressures #1  

voodoo

Silver Member
Tractor
Iseki TE 4270
I have noticed on some recent posts where tire pressures are being lowered for grass cutting on soft ground.

I don't cut grass with the tractor (at present), but do use it for fertiliser spreading. With my sticky ground you do not go onto it at all when wet or damp. (I do have turfs on) /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I understand that a lower pressure will spread the tire sidewall and therefore have a larger footprint and lower ground pressure.

Does it really make a useful difference. If so, what is the lowest pressure that tires could be operated safely without unseating from rim, or causing sidewall damage.

/ Tire pressures #2  
I have loaded R4 rears running 15psi and empty fronts running 20psi (lowered from 20 and 25, respectively). I mowed in the rain on saturated land and was surprised at how few ruts/tire tracts were left. My owner's manual says for my tractor a minimum of 12 rear/16 front).

Mark

/ Tire pressures #3  
I will be different for each manufactuer but if you ant a little info abou this, try Michelins site. It has a calculator for tire pressure for their tires on your tractor. It takes into consideration the type of work you do, the tractors axle weights, 2wd or 4WD etc. As was already mentioned, I use 15 PSI in the rears and 20 PSI in the fronts. Rat...

/ Tire pressures #4  
I had a slow leak in my right front tire. I didn't notice it until I turned sharply and ripped out some turf. Turf tires have a fairly square edge. Remove air pressure and this edge becomes more pronounced.

/ Tire pressures #5  
I never paid enough attention to my front air pressures. Till one day I ripped a tire off the rim using the fel. When I tried to get it fixed and found a hole in the sidewall. The tire guy noticed a lot of cracking inside sidewall and said this was due to prolonged underpressurization. I'm sure you're not planning on underpressuring to the extreme, but don't overdo it. And of course flats occur at the worst times. For me it was with a load of limestone in the middle of my driveway on a Saturday afternoon late.