Tire Chains, Front Tire, John Deere x749 Tractor

/ Tire Chains, Front Tire, John Deere x749 Tractor #1  

amtf

Tractor
JD x749
I just bought this tractor. Since it is new, I cannot comment on its performance. I can write a novel, however, about trying to get some tire chains on the front wheels of this tractor.
It all started by asking the local John Deere dealer for the chains at the time of purchase.
The first response I got from the dealer was that for my purposes (150 ft driveway) I did not need them. I replied that having plowed that driveway in the middle of the winter for 30 years, I am very familiar with snow conditions in Mt. Shasta. I am also, like every normal human being, familiar with the fact, that rubber tires, without chains, slide on ice. Therefore, I pressed on with my quest.
My second response from the dealer was that placing chains on the front tire might void the warranty. That also did not discourage me. I was not not spending $16000 for a tractor that would slide when the going would get rough.
Than I ordered chains from Vulcan Tire. That was a mistake. The tires chains were too wide. I called. The receptionists had no technical knowledge. Their sales staff, which is supposed to be highly skilled, makes it a point to not answer your questions directly, including those placed through E-Mail, (in communications they call this "bypassing").
Therefore, as of today, 5 weeks after first discussing this item, I am still without chains for the front tires of my tractor. How do I hope to finally solve my problem? I will hire a truck driver who will come with a bolt cutter and who will remove the excess cross links from the chain to assure a proper fit. Hurray for John Deere and more than 60 years of American ingenuity!?

/ Tire Chains, Front Tire, John Deere x749 Tractor #2  
What do you mean "Too wide" Didn't you research your tractors requirements and order the correct width chain? That width is the distance from the middle of the sidewall more or less up over the tread of the tire and down to the middle of the side wall on the other side. They don't make as many chain sizes as they do tire sizes so some chains fit closer to the rim then others but to function properly about middle of the side wall is best. And now to the length problem?
That isn't a problem.
Again there are more tire sizes then there are chain sizes. They ship chains to fit the larges diameter tire that width fits on. If your tires are smaller but still use that width cross chain then all you have to do is cut off the excess length. Be sure to cut it off the end opposite the latch hooks.

/ Tire Chains, Front Tire, John Deere x749 Tractor #3  
I know your feeling. I had the same problem with my previous tractor. One of the salesmen could not understand the need for front chain. When there is heavy snow, the tractor just want to keep going into a strait line. With the added studded chain, the front snow blower became a pure bliss. Almost a 4X4! The solution came from a guy who makes custom chain for ATV. I am sure the same type of product is available in USA! Better try an ATV dealer ship for your tire size.

Good Luck, you will love your JD with front chain!

Phil

Attachments

• P1010351.jpg
    P1010351.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 1,235
  • P1010378.JPG
    P1010378.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 2,983
  • P1010387.jpg
    P1010387.jpg
    663.2 KB · Views: 9,010
   / Tire Chains, Front Tire, John Deere x749 Tractor #5  
Post your front and rear tire sizes.

Correct size tire chains will almost certainly be available on eBay.

/ Tire Chains, Front Tire, John Deere x749 Tractor #6  
Well, AMTF that is how I got my front wheel chains, but mine came from an auction sale off a farm truck...$20 plus my grinder, bench vice and hammer....

/ Tire Chains, Front Tire, John Deere x749 Tractor #7  
In my case, I build a couple sets, At the local steel scrap place, they always keep the good stuff ,so they hang tire chains of all sizes up. I got 4 sets,for $30. 3 were lawn tractor ones, that could be shortened and one nice heavy set. for my 2wd tractor, I got the bicycle cable from a garage door opener, and will run that on the center of the tire to see if that helps keep the tires straight..
I wouldnt be greedy with chains on the front, as the driveshafts arent designed to be super tough when stuck I bet..

/ Tire Chains, Front Tire, John Deere x749 Tractor #8  
I have noticed that (Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure) lists tire chain modification tools on their site. I used truck tire chains from NAPA and cut them with cold chisel to fit length. I think front chains are more beneficial on ice/snow pack than are rear.

prs

/ Tire Chains, Front Tire, John Deere x749 Tractor #9  
I have noticed that (Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure) lists tire chain modification tools on their site. I used truck tire chains from NAPA and cut them with cold chisel to fit length. I think front chains are more beneficial on ice/snow pack than are rear.

prs
I have to disagree with you here. The rear wheels have more weight on them so drive chain studs deeper into the ice. Also the rears are by design the main driver of the tractor and are built much heavier then the fronts which have to be flexible enough to provide steering. They also have a much larger tire to ground contact patch so have many more studs in the ice at any one time. The fronts when in 4WD are helping the rears pull the tractor forward a bit and can pull the nose in the direction you want to go built are not the main driver of the machine. Chain your rears first then add front chains if you find you need them but don't chain just the fronts.
Just my. :2cents: