Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota M6950DT and Kubota L3240

Default Tire Repair - Inside patch or Slime?

I have a pinhole leak (very small puncture) in the tread of my tractor front tire. I'm undecided whether to get the tire dismounted and patched from the inside ($$$) or just buy a can of Slime and seal the small hole. Anyone have any experience with the Slime approach? I don't want to put the goo in the tire and then regret it later.

SalisburySenior
    Kubota M6950DT (1983)
    Kubota L3240 (2007)
    Loader, backhoe, box blade, scrape blade, rotary cutter, wood chipper, posthole digger, pulverizer

Silver Member

Default Re: Tire Repair - Inside patch or Slime?

I bought a atv not to long ago and the tires had numerous holes in them, so i put about 4 oz in each tire.
    Seemed to work pretty good and when i bought new tires and had to take them off it wasnt that bad. Just wiped the rim with some paper towels. Of course i was putting new tires on and didnt have to worry about getting it off of the inside of the tire. Any reason why you cant just put a plug in it?

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader

I carry slime in my pickup, only had to use it once and it worked well. If I had my choice with a tractor it would be a tube. I also slimed the tires on my ATV as insurance against getting stuck a couple of miles from home with a flat. The trip to my hunting spot was very rocky in places and over the course of 5 years the slime never let me down. You will have a major mess if you have to reuse a slimed tire. Do you know what caused the leak?
    Gear Up and Throttle Down.

2011 Massey 2615, 7ft Woods Rear Discharge Finish Mower, 6 ft Lucknow Snow Blower, Danuser post hole digger with 12" and 24" augers, 350 lb 3 pt broadcast spreader, 7ft scraper blade, 7 ft. drag harrow, JD GT 275 rider with 38" snow blower attachment.

Gold Member uglyboywith11fingers's Avatar
    Tractor
    2007 BX24TLB, 1998 TG1860G

I had a slight leak in the sidewall of a front tire (R4) on my BX24. I slimed both at the same time, early this past spring, and have had no drop in pressure through a lot of FEL work.
    Many people advise against slime, but for my sidewall leak, it was either that or tubes.
    I would use slime again.

Pete

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000D

I have slime in my tractor, atv, golf cart so basically anything that has rubber tires since everything in TX has a thorn or rock associated with it. I've had good luck with the slime and wouldn't run without it.

Tractor
    2007 New Holland TC34DA

I also had front tire leak. Took the wheel to one place that charged $25 to put a patch on the inside. The guy who did it said he uses Slime on his ATV tires as a preventative measure. He also said that a locust thorn was the likely culprit, and I can believe it. Those things are nasty.

Tire plugs work fine when the car picks up a nail or screw, but who wants to ream a pinhole out to 1/4" ?

Tractor
    Kubota M6950DT and Kubota L3240

Thanks to all who responded. In answer to a question ---- I'm not using a plug because the puncture is like a pinhole and is through the thickest part of the agressive tread.

SalisburySenior
    Kubota M6950DT (1983)
    Kubota L3240 (2007)
    Loader, backhoe, box blade, scrape blade, rotary cutter, wood chipper, posthole digger, pulverizer

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 301A and yanmar YM2500

Only 1 real issue with slime is when you get a hole that needs a patch you can't patch it. And that goes for tires or tubes.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Quote Originally Posted by mvwicker View Post
    I also had front tire leak. Took the wheel to one place that charged $25 to put a patch on the inside. The guy who did it said he uses Slime on his ATV tires as a preventative measure. He also said that a locust thorn was the likely culprit, and I can believe it. Those things are nasty.

Tire plugs work fine when the car picks up a nail or screw, but who wants to ream a pinhole out to 1/4" ?
    I can relate to the issue rgarding black locust thorns. Had a flat on our golf cart last week due to one. The tube cost me $11.00.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Tractor
    Kubota L3940 Ford 8N Ford 6000

I was driving my brand new tractor home from the dealership, owned it less than 15 minutes, and had this 1/4" button head screw go thru my rear tire. I nearly cried. You can still see the manufacturers sticker on the tire! I performed an external plug job, 3 years later, no issues. Philip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -screwtire01-jpg  
    Kubota L3940HST-1 2009
    84" front blade
    LA724 loader w/quick attach
    HD 72" round back bucket
    turf tires
    Kubota GR2120 2013
    Ford 8N 1950
    Ford 6000 diesel 1961
    JD L110 2003
    Woods RD7200 finish mower, Land Pride RCR1272 rotary cutter, Bearcat CH5540 5" chipper, L8170 ballast box, 6' Woods pulverizer, 6' Dragon box scrapper with hydraulic rippers, 14" 2 bottom plow, sub-soiler, post hole auger, 3 point pallet forks, 30" rear scoop, 7' Land Pride RB1584 rear blade, 3 point boom pole

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast