Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

Default Re: Tire Wear from Traveling on Pavement

run it down the road. 5 miles is not that bad. most likely take you longer to put on trailer and trailer it down and unload, than it would be to hope on tractor and just drive to other property.

get a "slow motion" triangle on back of tractor. make sure your lights work and get a going.

on a side note do it during the day time. 1 hour after sun rises and between 1 hour before sun sets. so folks can actually see you. and make the trip during less busy time of the day for road traffic. for a little extra safety margin per say.

if you have any sort of "hills" you will need to drive up between properties. you might want to "down shift" before you get to a hill to go down it or up it. running a lower gear will more likely allow ya to make it up them steeper hills.

watch it on the brakes, more so if your tractor has "split" rear left and right brake pedals. one side may catch sooner than other side. and as a result at higher MPH may throw the tractor to one side.
    Ryan

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

I would not worry about tire wear on such a short trip and just a few times a year. Just be sure you are out of 4wd.

Tractor

Check your tire pressure too.

Tractor
    Kubota L5740-HST; Kubota RTV900

Thanks for the great advice guys! I do have the slow moving emblem on the back and always use the hazard flashers when near the road. How would I check the toe in?

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by crazyangel View Post
    How would I check the toe in?
    Jack it up a take a scribe and turn the tire to marks it on the left and and right side. Pull a tape measure across the front and rear. Your front should be a 1/8''-3/16 narrower than the rear. You need to scribe the tires instead of measuring the tread because you could have a crooked tread.

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

My Deere only goes on hard surface roads when I am pushing snow, so I have never had to worry about tire wear. Aften almost 990 hours on the OEM turfs, there has been practically no tread wear, but the front sidewalls are badly cracked and leaking air.

About checking the toe in: What 94bullit says may not always be correct, my manual says for 2wd tractors the front measurement should be 1/8" to 1/4" less than the rear, but for MFWD tractors both measurements can be the same or not to exceed 1/8" difference at front or rear. And rather than jacking the tractor up, they say you can mark the center of both front tires in the front, measure that, then move the tractor so the tires make a 180 degree revolution, then measure the marks at the rear.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

on split brakes, lock them together..if it has the option

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    on split brakes, lock them together..if it has the option
    Brakes.....what are brakes, Soundguy? One of the nice things about a hydro drive is that the operator almost never needs to use the brakes. I can't recall the last time I used mine.

Veteran Member

Soundguy is right, the tires are there for use. You will have a hard time wearing out your tires on short road trips. Where I live the German Baptist drive tractors the same as cars or trucks. They seem to do quite well with tires. Some tractors are open station and would not be very comfortable in the winter.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by 2458n View Post
    Soundguy is right, the tires are there for use. You will have a hard time wearing out your tires on short road trips. Where I live the German Baptist drive tractors the same as cars or trucks. They seem to do quite well with tires. Some tractors are open station and would not be very comfortable in the winter.
    yep.. I got an old ford 4000 that has racing slicks on front.. i mean NO ribs left.. smooth all the way across.. but not into the cords yet.

on my nh 7610s the 10-16 fronts are almost down to 2 ribs.. the center rig is about 1/8" high.

got a couple large farm patches inside from punctured.. but otherwise they run good.

i generally run a tire casing till the tire blows off the rim.. or bead dies during dismount to repalce tubes..

i try to get every last minute out of a tire based on what they cost these days!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast