Tire Wear from Traveling on Pavement

/ Tire Wear from Traveling on Pavement #1  

crazyangel

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740-HST; Kubota RTV900
I need to move my tractor a few miles down the road, and I do not have a trailer available to do it. I really don't want to destroy my tires in the process though. What kind of things can I do to protect the rubber? I am considering taking the bucket off the loader and putting it in my pickup for the trip to lessen the weight on the front tires. It also seems like lower speed would be gentler especially on the smaller front tires. I would love to hear any advice that can be offered.

:steeringwheel:

/ Tire Wear from Traveling on Pavement #2  
Lower speeds, no sharp turns and easy on the brakes. Check the tire inflation too.

/ Tire Wear from Traveling on Pavement #3  
Frequent roading can be significant especially with R1 tires but for the occasional trip down the road a few miles I wouldn't be too concerned. It is not likely you will wear out the tires before they dry rot anyway. The cost of a trailer tag would be alot more than the wear on the tractor tires for infrequent use.

/ Tire Wear from Traveling on Pavement #4  
how often? just a few times should not give you any noticeable wear. I have driven my BX few times already over an hour at a time driving on the road and no effect on tires. I drove it on the dirt shoulder where I could, and back on road to respect people property.

/ Tire Wear from Traveling on Pavement
It is five miles between my two pieces of land. It is not a trip I plan to do often, but I will likely go there and back one or two times per year. I drove the tractor down there over the weekend, and it was my first time doing it. I was surprised by the wear marks on the front tires. There is not a lot of tread gone, but the trip left noticeable marks. Rubber isn't cheap, and I just want to minimize any damage on the way back. In retrospect, my travel speed probably did the most damage. I was moving close to max speed. It sounds like taking my time on the way back will help some.

/ Tire Wear from Traveling on Pavement #6  
Make sure your front wheel drive is OFF. If the FWD is off and your in two wheel drive mode there shoudn't be any danger of excessive wear.

/ Tire Wear from Traveling on Pavement #7  
My front tires were badly worn at 1200 hours on the tractor.....seems that the toe in was wrong for some reason....wore more on one side than other. Both tires. I had noticed wear when on road the several times I did it but thought it would not matter much...wrong...I've now reset toe in to factor settings....it was bad out...

Just a thought....might check your toe in and make sure it's in spec. I thought that on a tractor it would not make a difference...it does.

/ Tire Wear from Traveling on Pavement #8  
If you had noticeable wear marks after only 5 miles, you might want to check you toe in. I've had that problem with one of my tractors.

/ Tire Wear from Traveling on Pavement #9  
Agreed, check the alignment, I routinely run my tractor four miles between farms at least four times round trip total eight miles in the last two months, total ten or more per year and I have a quarter mile of pavement that separates my main farm that I run several times every time I use one of my tractors. I run industrial tires on that tractor and while I am sure I get more wear than dirt, wear is not evident.

/ Tire Wear from Traveling on Pavement #10  
i wouldn't worry about it.

i road my NH 7610s downthe road dragging a 15' batwing mower.. 8m trip to the farm.

been doing it for years... sure.. getting SOME wear onthe tires... nothing to clutch my chest about....