JD 2720 Tire chain question?????

/ JD 2720 Tire chain question????? #1  

superbear

Tractor
John Deere 2720
Hello from Alaska first thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I was getting the new 2720 set for snow blower mounted, ordered chains from my dealer first set had a ladder link upside down, brought them back got the second set, figured they would just mount like the ones I had for my 2305, but these were twice as heavy, get the first one ready to mount and it was 2 latters and 8 links to long, no way were they were going to work, brought them back assuming they gave me the wrong size but no they they have to be cut to fit. They are extremely heavy duty (I just need them for snow and imagine the JD chains are going to be a bit more then I need as far as link size & weight,but the only ones JD offers. does anyone have any suggestions for other chains for 14 X 17.5 Tires? I really don't feel like dragging out the cutting tourches and modifying a $400 set of chains. Suggestions anyone?

/ JD 2720 Tire chain question????? #2  
$400.00 sounds steep for chains ,But considering your in Alaska and by the time you found less expensive ones and had them shipped and waited for them to get there it may be spring already , If you have a set of torches and other tools I would buy the chain and make my own set for a whole lot less then $400.00 and they would be a perfect fit ! But that"s just me !

/ JD 2720 Tire chain question?????
My contention is if I am buying them they better work, talked to a great guy at tirechains.com explained the situation since JD only has the one option and I really don't need the super aggresive chain which the JD ones are, and from experience with the 2 link lighter chains I had for my 2305 that I used for 3 years there is no need for the chains that were designed for a different application then what I do with my tractor. I am waiting for him to call back on a price on a 2 link chain that I want and JD should have offered since there are lots of 2520 and 2730 tractors up here and most have the same complaint. We are retired and tired of the extreme Alaska weather and have been seriously looking at moving to TN getting a small 50-80 acre farm in the NW part of TN. After 40 + years here although we love it, it truely is a young mans state, the older we get the grumpier we get when winter sets in for the long 7 months. Thanks for the response.