Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240HST
I've been quoted the following for loading the r4 tires on a Grand L4240:
50/50% anti-freeze: 2-55gal plus another 24gal(fronts) = $829.33
$45.00 per tire labor.
Does this sound close to fair?:confused3:

/ Tire Loading Question #2  
No, it sounds outrageous. Do it yourself. It's so easy. Buy a valve stem adapter from Gemplers or Tractor Supply, buy some antifreeze (amount depends on how low temps are there), and use a cheap 12V pump or some other pump, and fill it. I did mine using 3 gallons antifreeze on each tire and water and labor are free.

Now there are higher tech solutions like rimguard or washer fluid, but unless I was in an area of deep freezes, water and antifreeze work just fine. And why pay someone to do something you can do yourself. I would also be really sad if I paid hundreds of dollars per tire and had a flat and lost it all.

And why load the fronts? Most do just the rears.

/ Tire Loading Question #3  
134 gallons of antifreeze plus labor, over $1000.

I put in -35 degree washer fluid in my BX. 20 gallons, $1.40 a gallon on close out at Menards.

Do NOT pay this job! Now I will say that if you were doing this with non-toxic RV antifreeze, you might expect that kind of price.

/ Tire Loading Question
Thanks for the input. I live in a remote corner of the boonies. Our selection of services is a mite questionable at times. I just got off the phone with a local parts supplier. 0 degree windshield fluid @ $1.19 per gal. I've decided to fore-go loading the fronts. You fellows just saved this newby a chunk of change. I think the fellow with the first quote must have a boat payment overdue.

Last edited:
   / Tire Loading Question #5  
I thought the price was outrageous too until I started figuring up price of antifreeze. @ 50/50 mix requires 67 gallon antifreeze (each rear holds 55 gl. & front 24gl. ea). Dealer price $829.33 / 67gl.= $12.38 per gl. Price in stores around here are $13 - $15 for concentrate.
What is normal cold temperature there? Likely do not need 50/50 mix, you don't need to keep fluid at normal water viscosity. Slushy in the tire on extreme cold days is OK, just don't want a solid block of ice.

$8.00 for a drill pump, $10.00 for the tire adapter (priced from TSC) and couple short garden hoses are all the tools you need if you have the jack and air compressor to do it yourself.

/ Tire Loading Question #6  
No, it sounds outrageous. Do it yourself. It's so easy. Buy a valve stem adapter from Gemplers or Tractor Supply, buy some antifreeze (amount depends on how low temps are there), and use a cheap 12V pump or some other pump, and fill it. I did mine using 3 gallons antifreeze on each tire and water and labor are free.

Now there are higher tech solutions like rimguard or washer fluid, but unless I was in an area of deep freezes, water and antifreeze work just fine. And why pay someone to do something you can do yourself. I would also be really sad if I paid hundreds of dollars per tire and had a flat and lost it all.

And why load the fronts? Most do just the rears.

What he said!!:thumbsup:

/ Tire Loading Question #7  
I just had the dealer do my rears with methanol and it only cost $121

/ Tire Loading Question
It gets below freezing here but usually warms above freezing once the sun rises. So, is there any reason to choose anti-freeze over washer fluid? As a young fellow, I worked on a New England dairy farm and the tractor tires would get "slushy" but I don't recall that being a bad thing. I'm going to be using the fel to move a lot of dirt and don't intend to go very fast.:newhere:

/ Tire Loading Question #9  
Have you checked the price for Rimguard in your area? I know it varies from place to place, but I was able to get it for $2.25/gallon installed. I can't even touch a gallon of anti-freeze for that price... and Rimgaurd is a heck of a lot heavier.

/ Tire Loading Question
Living, as I do, in a distant corner of the boonies, I'm not certain of availability. Does Rim Guard have to be purchased from a dealer? Is it available in 55gal drums? :confused3: