I've been quoted the following for loading the r4 tires on a Grand L4240:
    50/50% anti-freeze: 2-55gal plus another 24gal(fronts) = $829.33
    $45.00 per tire labor.
    Does this sound close to fair?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240

Default Re: Tire Loading Question

No, it sounds outrageous. Do it yourself. It's so easy. Buy a valve stem adapter from Gemplers or Tractor Supply, buy some antifreeze (amount depends on how low temps are there), and use a cheap 12V pump or some other pump, and fill it. I did mine using 3 gallons antifreeze on each tire and water and labor are free.

Now there are higher tech solutions like rimguard or washer fluid, but unless I was in an area of deep freezes, water and antifreeze work just fine. And why pay someone to do something you can do yourself. I would also be really sad if I paid hundreds of dollars per tire and had a flat and lost it all.

And why load the fronts? Most do just the rears.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

134 gallons of antifreeze plus labor, over $1000.

I put in -35 degree washer fluid in my BX. 20 gallons, $1.40 a gallon on close out at Menards.

Do NOT pay this job! Now I will say that if you were doing this with non-toxic RV antifreeze, you might expect that kind of price.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240HST

Thanks for the input. I live in a remote corner of the boonies. Our selection of services is a mite questionable at times. I just got off the phone with a local parts supplier. 0 degree windshield fluid @ $1.19 per gal. I've decided to fore-go loading the fronts. You fellows just saved this newby a chunk of change. I think the fellow with the first quote must have a boat payment overdue.
    Last edited by lew61; 11-12-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Added to it

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

I thought the price was outrageous too until I started figuring up price of antifreeze. @ 50/50 mix requires 67 gallon antifreeze (each rear holds 55 gl. & front 24gl. ea). Dealer price $829.33 / 67gl.= $12.38 per gl. Price in stores around here are $13 - $15 for concentrate.
    What is normal cold temperature there? Likely do not need 50/50 mix, you don't need to keep fluid at normal water viscosity. Slushy in the tire on extreme cold days is OK, just don't want a solid block of ice.

$8.00 for a drill pump, $10.00 for the tire adapter (priced from TSC) and couple short garden hoses are all the tools you need if you have the jack and air compressor to do it yourself.
    Dennis

CT225 w/7TL QA FEL, 60"tooth dirt bucket, 68" smooth bucket, Pallet Forks, Bale Spear. Hydrualic top llin, QH, 48 RC, 60" tiller, Angle blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all, Post hole auger.

Tractor
    Mahindra 3510 and Mahindra 5500 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by HCJtractor View Post
    No, it sounds outrageous. Do it yourself. It's so easy. Buy a valve stem adapter from Gemplers or Tractor Supply, buy some antifreeze (amount depends on how low temps are there), and use a cheap 12V pump or some other pump, and fill it. I did mine using 3 gallons antifreeze on each tire and water and labor are free.

Now there are higher tech solutions like rimguard or washer fluid, but unless I was in an area of deep freezes, water and antifreeze work just fine. And why pay someone to do something you can do yourself. I would also be really sad if I paid hundreds of dollars per tire and had a flat and lost it all.

And why load the fronts? Most do just the rears.
    What he said!!
    PROUD AIR FORCE DAD

Tractor
    2011 Kubota MX5100

I just had the dealer do my rears with methanol and it only cost $121
    I like to push buttons that I dont know what they do to find out. Theres some I wont push anymore

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240HST

It gets below freezing here but usually warms above freezing once the sun rises. So, is there any reason to choose anti-freeze over washer fluid? As a young fellow, I worked on a New England dairy farm and the tractor tires would get "slushy" but I don't recall that being a bad thing. I'm going to be using the fel to move a lot of dirt and don't intend to go very fast.

Tractor
    JD 955/70A/7 TLB

Have you checked the price for Rimguard in your area? I know it varies from place to place, but I was able to get it for $2.25/gallon installed. I can't even touch a gallon of anti-freeze for that price... and Rimgaurd is a heck of a lot heavier.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240HST

Living, as I do, in a distant corner of the boonies, I'm not certain of availability. Does Rim Guard have to be purchased from a dealer? Is it available in 55gal drums?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast