Industrial tire vs Turf tire

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #1  

Airportbum365

Tractor
Ford LGT 14D
I am buying a compact tractor and would like to get the industrial/commercial tire but i am afraid
that it will rip up the grass to much in that case i would have to settle with the turf tire

Any experience here?

Thanks

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #2  
You should talk to people locally that have similar soil to yours. I have little problems with R4s on grass but my ground is sandy and drains very well. If I get into a wetter area, I have to be careful.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #3  
Any tire will tear up the grass in wet conditions some more than others.
I run R4's on my lawn and really have no trouble unless I am running the same track over and over again.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #4  
If you need turfs to run on your grass then get a lawnmower and forget about a tractor. Turfs on a tractor have little to no traction without chains and defeat the purpose of having a tractor in the first place. Stick with th R4 and have nominal traction, not as good as Ag R1 but adequate and wont bother the grass. If the R4 are rutting or damaging the grass, its too wet and you need to do some other chore and wait for it to dry out. Other than the deep lug marks left by R1, I dont find them to damage the grass unless you really make a sharp turn. For my 8000+ pound tractor, it has to be pretty dry though to not leave tracks with the R1's but it doesnt dig up the grass as the turning radius is quiet sharp. I replaced my turf tires on my ZTR mower with bar lug tires for better traction when needed around my pond. I got tired of getting stuck every time I got even close to a muddy spot. They will tear up the grass if I try to turn on a dime but otherwise they work fine.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #5  
My tractor has R4 tires and I haven't had any problems tearing up the grass.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #6  
IMHO unless your are row cropping, industrial tires are the way to go. good traction and doesn't tear up turf unless turning sharp.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #7  
I think industrial are the way to go. The offer more traction than a turf but are less destructive on turf than a ag. I can go up a fairly steep hill in 2WD with my 4240 with out hurting the grass hardly at all. Industrials are more resistant to punctures. I think they are a better choice if you are going with a loader.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #8  
Turf tires suck for traction, but it depends on what you are doing. I bought my tractor with turfs and used it for finish mowing, worked great. If you are doing a lot of mowing (finish or rough cutting) and most of your tractor uses are pto intensive, they are probably ok. If you are doing ground engaging where you need a lot of pulling force (instead of just power) then get industrials. Snow removal also sucks with turfs, but I imagine it does with just about anything without chains. Turfs (mine anyway) are generally wider and quite stable, though load capacity is usually less.

Now that I have a different mower and won't be using the tractor anymore for finish mowing, I am putting together a set of ags for the rear and probably industrials for the front- mine is 2wd and I want the load carrying from the r4's in the front since my uses are changing directions and am planning on doing more ground work. I will probably also get a set of chains for the turfs to use in the winter for snow removal and leave the r4s on the front all of the time.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #9  
R4's....are the way to go. Unless you are only going to be using your tractor on a manicured turf farm or golf course than I would definite go with R4's because otherwise you'll be getting stuck everywhere..

I have R4's on my 3720 and I haven't had any trouble. I have to watch the sharp turns in the front yard. But for the most part the tires are fine and offer excellent traction without tearing up the lawn.

/ Industrial tire vs Turf tire #10  
I would also go with the R4's as well they are great in the winter for my BX2370. But if you are working on the lawn watch out for fast turns, sudden starts and stops as well.