How not to wreck tire pressure gauge with ballast fluid?

/ How not to wreck tire pressure gauge with ballast fluid? #1  

richardlc

Tractor
MF 135
I have wrecked 3 tire pressure checkers with the ballast fluid (water only) despite having the valve at the top of the tire! How does one avoid this problem?
:( It takes only a few drops or some spray to cause the damage.

/ How not to wreck tire pressure gauge with ballast fluid? #2  
i would assume a liquid filled tire gage .....one designed for liquid filled tires. check at napa

/ How not to wreck tire pressure gauge with ballast fluid? #3  
I always release a little air from the valve core until no Rimguard sprays out before putting the air gauge on. I think my air gauge is about ten years old now.

/ How not to wreck tire pressure gauge with ballast fluid? #4  
Valve stem in the 12 o'clock position then give it a quick shot of air. Rinse out the gauge with warm water after checking.

/ How not to wreck tire pressure gauge with ballast fluid? #5  
They make special tire gauges for fluid filled tires. We have two, one has a spring loaded plunger that pushes all the liquid out when you are done, the other has a little hole to flush water through when you are done. Any equipment dealer should sell these. Also, as mentioned, you should only check fluid filled tires when the stem is up.

/ How not to wreck tire pressure gauge with ballast fluid? #7  
Get a dial tire gauge. They are driven by a Bourdon tube. Such has no problem with liquid. You will have no issue with water, but in cases with CaCl there could be corrosion issues which would benefit from rinseout by repeated measurement of water pressure after each use on the salt. Other tire solutions are MUCH less corrosive. ... but you should always be alert to the possible formation of crystals as a solution drys. Rinse is good. :)
larry

/ How not to wreck tire pressure gauge with ballast fluid? #8  
I have used my Milton 976 on CaCl tires for six years and on Rimguard tires for four years. I have never rinsed it out and it still works very well.

/ How not to wreck tire pressure gauge with ballast fluid? #9  
I have used my Milton 976 on CaCl tires for six years and on Rimguard tires for four years. I have never rinsed it out and it still works very well.
Stainless steel guts probably. I would still worry about crystals if it sat unused for a few weeks.
larry

/ How not to wreck tire pressure gauge with ballast fluid? #10  
the little tit, on back side of many pressure gauges for tires, ya use to let air out of a tire. use it to help clear the valve stem of any water or fluid that is in the tire. it may not be perfect solution but should help.

if you have a good regulator on an air compressor set to correct wanted pressure that tires need to be inflated to. just take off the cap on the tire nipple. hook up air pump. and let the regulator automatically set pressure for tire/s. granted you may end up getting fluid back into the air hose this way, but *shrugs*.