Silver Member
    Tractor
    jd 445, kubota bx1500,wheel horse c-160, wheel horse h-520

Default Tire chain recommendations?

what do all you experts of TBN recommend as a good set of tire chains. I need a set for my 2wd '84 f-150. I was thinking tire chains instead of studs because my 2-mile long access road to the main state route usually has has packed ice from mid December through late February, plus I could use them in spring/summer in the mud out in the fields. So what is the best all around tire chains? and what is recommend for the best style of tensioners?

Tractor
    John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465

Default Re: Tire chain recommendations?

I've used the diamond pattern from peerless, I had great results. I broke one link spinning at the crest of a hill once but that was showing off my stupidity. I've also ran them a 120km/h on a frozen lake going to the cottage(again stupid) but the held tight. They've improved their tensioners now too. I have the old red chain through the hoop with the short bungee design. Installing was simple to do without moving the truck. Just re tension after a few hundred feet.
    Carefull what you aim for, Aim for nothing and you will achieve it with amazing accuracy.

Tractor
    Kubota B7510HSD

Default Re: Tire chain recommendations?

I use cam locks install the chains and twist the cams to tighten them down piece of cake!! I run a bungy cord from cam to cam to keep them from coming open after I tighten them!