Tractor
    1948 farmall cub

Default Rubber tire chains?

Hello, I am seeking info about any new tire chain developments that reduce or eliminate scuffing/damage to concrete driveways.I have been told to try rope and I just was at a website that sells rubber tire chains.I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has information along these lines.Thank you!

Tractor
    TC33D Hydrostatic 7308 Loader

Default Re: Rubber tire chains?

Don't know about rubber but cable tire chains have been available for a while.
    Not as aggressive traction-wise as chain but not as damaging either.
    A Google search will bring up lots of options.
    New Holland TC33D - 7308 Loader - 72" LuckNow 3PH snow blower with home built hydraulic chute rotation - 84" Woods RFM - 60" Woods Brushog - Home built ballast box - Home built landscape rake - 3PH post hole digger - Home built pallet forks - Home built receiver hitch - Home built soft cab - Home built boom

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130 HST 4x4

rmankty,

I have been using the rubber snow chains for the past 3 winters after using metal chains for 15 years on a different tractor. I was hesitant to change at first, but my neighbor had been using them for 15+ years with good success. He never got stuck and we pretty much use are tractors in the same terrain.

The reason I changed... 1) New tractor had less clearance between the fenders to support metal chains. 2) They are much lighter and therefor easier to install. 3) The ride is more comfortable.

So far I have been very pleased with them and have not noticed any difference in traction versus metal chains. They do not mark up the pavement like metal chains.

If you have any specific questions about them feel free to ask.

Purchased mine from here and it looks like they have 10% off though 12-31 (tonight).
    Rubber Tire (Snow) Chains - Traction without damage.
    Kubota L3130 HST 4x4, FEL LA723 w/QA, Backhoe BH90, Snow Blower: L2185 72" front mount, 7' back blade, carry all, 48" Pallet Forks w/QA, Sun Shade, Turf tires & Rubber Chains for the winter, Extra forward and rear lighting. BearCat 73454 Wood Chipper. LandPride RCR2672 Rotary Cutter. Approximately 290 hours

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

I can see these working on snow but on ice coated streets they wont be any better than any other rubber tire and just slide down the hill like that Youtube video of the big JD 4 WD that gently slid into a truck while surfing the icy street.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp CC AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130 HST 4x4

Gary Fowler,

Are you speaking from experience or speculation?

I snow blow some very steep long driveways with the rubber chains that have been icy (with snow) with good success. One is actually scary steep. There is a very big difference in traction between having them off and on. There have been a few times I was a bit lazy in putting them on and even the slightest grades were scary. With them on it is night and day difference. Would they match the performance of a chain designed specifically for ice? No way, but then again they won’t leave gouges in the driveway or garage floor either.
    Kubota L3130 HST 4x4, FEL LA723 w/QA, Backhoe BH90, Snow Blower: L2185 72" front mount, 7' back blade, carry all, 48" Pallet Forks w/QA, Sun Shade, Turf tires & Rubber Chains for the winter, Extra forward and rear lighting. BearCat 73454 Wood Chipper. LandPride RCR2672 Rotary Cutter. Approximately 290 hours

Tractor
    mf 85 allis chalmers 207

This is interesting , I will assume the benefit would be a softer rubber in the chain vs the tire..I have heard they work , i use chain but my drive is partly gravel so damage isn't a problem...