spare tire mount?...

/ spare tire mount?... #11  
PJ trailers has a spare tire mount that slides into any of your stake pockets. This allows you to place your spade tire just about anywhere.

Yep... that's what I patterned mine after. Put it on when highway trailering and off and out of the way when not needed around the property.
Whilst I was 'borrowing' their ideas... I made several stake pocket tie downs too.

stake-pocket-spare-tire-mount.jpg

stake-pocket-d-ring-pj1.jpg

/ spare tire mount?...
The stake pocket mount for the spare is a good idea. I dont really understand the stake pocket tie-down....the stake pocket is the tie-down. Why make a insert with a D-ring welded to the top? You eliminate the 2" ratchet tie-downs with flat hooks all together, it would make it easier for the wire hook ratchet tie downs. Chains work great with a stake pocket. Guess I drove flatbed and oversize loads too many yrs to see the advantage, looks neat though. Got my spare mount figured out and will post a pic when done. Sure wished I had the room to mount it under the trailer though.

/ spare tire mount?... #13  
The stake pocket mount for the spare is a good idea. I dont really understand the stake pocket tie-down....the stake pocket is the tie-down. Why make a insert with a D-ring welded to the top? You eliminate the 2" ratchet tie-downs with flat hooks all together, it would make it easier for the wire hook ratchet tie downs. Chains work great with a stake pocket. Guess I drove flatbed and oversize loads too many yrs to see the advantage, looks neat though. Got my spare mount figured out and will post a pic when done. Sure wished I had the room to mount it under the trailer though.

That stake pocket D-ring would be great for tying down cars, for example. I rarely use chains or flat hook straps unless its for equipment and pallets.
My flatbed trailer only has 4 d-rings and they're never in the right spot. I usually hook to the stake pockets, but with the car straps its not ideal and pulls from an odd angle.

5picker's solution looks good!
66206.jpg

/ spare tire mount?...
That stake pocket D-ring would be great for tying down cars, for example. I rarely use chains or flat hook straps unless its for equipment and pallets.
My flatbed trailer only has 4 d-rings and they're never in the right spot. I usually hook to the stake pockets, but with the car straps its not ideal and pulls from an odd angle.

5picker's solution looks good!
View attachment 298024
Using that type of strap, I can understand the d-ring insert. Sure seems easier to have some flatbar welded across the stake pockets like on a big truck trailer, then you have tie-down points where ever you need in front and behind the fenders. Flatbar is really cheap.

/ spare tire mount?... #15  
The stake pocket mount for the spare is a good idea. I dont really understand the stake pocket tie-down....the stake pocket is the tie-down. Why make a insert with a D-ring welded to the top?.....

You are correct... a stake pocket is a die down... but not a 'do-all' perfect tie down. Sometimes I need to use rope instead of a strap and a D-ring is way more forgiving to abrasion than the sometimes sharp edges of a stake pocket. And you are also correct... for hook type straps the D-ring works really well too. And no, you don't eliminate being able to utilize 2" straps with flat hooks... you simply remove the D-ring insert and you're back to a regular stake pocket. That's what's great about them... I like the 'portability' of both items... put them in whatever pocket suits the moment best.

/ spare tire mount?...
You are correct... a stake pocket is a die down... but not a 'do-all' perfect tie down. Sometimes I need to use rope instead of a strap and a D-ring is way more forgiving to abrasion than the sometimes sharp edges of a stake pocket. And you are also correct... for hook type straps the D-ring works really well too. And no, you don't eliminate being able to utilize 2" straps with flat hooks... you simply remove the D-ring insert and you're back to a regular stake pocket. That's what's great about them... I like the 'portability' of both items... put them in whatever pocket suits the moment best.

I did not think about the rope aspect...learn something new everyday :). I stand corrected

/ spare tire mount?... #17  
The stake pocket D-ring conversion looks like a handy concept, and would work great for light duty tie down, However looking at the design and the way it would be secured inside by a through pin would either mean having to drill a hole through the stake pocket or either the pin would simply go through under the pocket, only have the 2 ends of the pin holding in the D-ring insert from pulling back out, not a good idea, ..
For the most part the Stake pockets do well for securing light loads, I know we all can testify on how we have tied our equipment down to them, although is not their intended purpose , they are To install Side rails, So the pocket themselves are not welded in with the intent of securing heavy things/loads to,... With only having a couple of light beads down each side it scary to think about,
Example: Look at the weld, then look at the inside of the pocket where it is against the trailer frame, You see no weld there, I've actually removed stake pockets by simply a 1 minute grind of the weld on one side and hit the pocket with a 2 lb. hammer to knock it rest of the way off,.... So in sense of what I'm saying, if one weld were to break the other side will sure to fallow and break off,
If when planing to use the stake pocket as a tie-down point for our heavy equipment it would be wise to have them welded stronger or perhaps on the inside as well,
There are other options of tie down tools, Like getting a short link of chain with a hook on one end and a ring on the other, these can have rather versatile uses, go through the stack pocket reaching down to the frame of the trailer for a more trusting and secure point,
Not at all knocking the design of the stake pocket D-ring tool, I just feel like before using one perhaps be sure what your using it in is strongly secured, ;)

Attachments

• E58902.jpg
    E58902.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Chain_Anchor_with_Delta_Ring_Eye_Grab.jpg
    Chain_Anchor_with_Delta_Ring_Eye_Grab.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 113
   / spare tire mount?... #18  
The stake pocket D-ring conversion looks like a handy concept, and would work great for light duty tie down, However looking at the design and the way it would be secured inside by a through pin would either mean having to drill a hole through the stake pocket or either the pin would simply go through under the pocket, only have the 2 ends of the pin holding in the D-ring insert from pulling back out, not a good idea, ..
For the most part the Stake pockets do well for securing light loads, I know we all can testify on how we have tied our equipment down to them, although is not their intended purpose , they are To install Side rails, So the pocket themselves are not welded in with the intent of securing heavy things/loads to,... With only having a couple of light beads down each side it scary to think about,
Example: Look at the weld, then look at the inside of the pocket where it is against the trailer frame, You see no weld there, I've actually removed stake pockets by simply a 1 minute grind of the weld on one side and hit the pocket with a 2 lb. hammer to knock it rest of the way off,.... So in sense of what I'm saying, if one weld were to break the other side will sure to fallow and break off,
If when planing to use the stake pocket as a tie-down point for our heavy equipment it would be wise to have them welded stronger or perhaps on the inside as well,
There are other options of tie down tools, Like getting a short link of chain with a hook on one end and a ring on the other, these can have rather versatile uses, go through the stack pocket reaching down to the frame of the trailer for a more trusting and secure point,
Not at all knocking the design of the stake pocket D-ring tool, I just feel like before using one perhaps be sure what your using it in is strongly secured, ;)

That pin is not going to fail just like the pins in trailer hitches do not fail.

Chris

/ spare tire mount?... #19  
just keep in mind that when you mount the tire on the side in the open you are inviting theft. I would prefer to have it underneath with the winch if possible, or get some kind of cable lock for it.

/ spare tire mount?... #20  
That pin is not going to fail just like the pins in trailer hitches do not fail.

Chris

I'm sorry I didn't mean to have you think I suggest the pin would fail, Only that the pocket might! although it the pin is only used under th pocket as I think I see in the photo this would suggest that only the ends of the pin is holding it in, though I doubt this # grade of pin would ever shier, it's not exactly like installing a reciever hitch where the pin goes completely through both inner and outer tubings preventing movement,