spare tire mount?...

/ spare tire mount?... #1  

Case485Guy

Gold Member
Tractor
Case 485
I have a 20' car hauler(no sides) looking for ideas on where to mount the spare tire. I have a tool box on the tongue behind the jack, maybe make a raised mount? Currently have the trailer torn apart and fixing a cracked frame and putting new floor in it. Any ideas or pics?
thx

/ spare tire mount?... #2  
PJ trailers has a spare tire mount that slides into any of your stake pockets. This allows you to place your spade tire just about anywhere.

/ spare tire mount?... #5  
i prefer underdeck. I didnt want mine mounted to the side due to the amount of side loading i do. dont really have room in the front due to toolbox.

/ spare tire mount?... #6  
Get a spare tire winch mechanism from underneath a dodge caravan ( mini van ) the cost will be around 20.00 from your local salvage, or they can be purchased new from dealership but will cost close to 100.00 ..... bolt the winch just inside the trailers box frame allowing enough from the edge to accommodate the tire size, to a cross member rail anywhere under the trailer, You may want to add an additional pc across higher up closer to the decking to obtain more clearance, this would depend on the trailers actual height, Oh! and be sure to get the crank rod that matched the spline shaft of the wench,

Attachments

• $(KGrHqEOKpYE25EQko4kBN1wHQNm6!~~_1_2193_1.jpg
    $(KGrHqEOKpYE25EQko4kBN1wHQNm6!~~_1_2193_1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,348
  • dsc02811.jpg
    dsc02811.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 13,780
   / spare tire mount?...
Get a spare tire winch mechanism from underneath a dodge caravan ( mini van ) the cost will be around 20.00 from your local salvage, or they can be purchased new from dealership but will cost close to 100.00 ..... bolt the winch just inside the trailers box frame allowing enough from the edge to accommodate the tire size, to a cross member rail anywhere under the trailer, You may want to add an additional pc across higher up closer to the decking to obtain more clearance, this would depend on the trailers actual height, Oh! and be sure to get the crank rod that matched the spline shaft of the wench,

I have been looking at this way to mount it. I think my trailer is to low to the ground to work. I run a real short 10 ply 16" tires on it, not the standard 235's. If my measurrements are correct my spare would hang a good 4-6" below the axle tube. With all the pastures and off angle ditch's I cross, I dont think this would work on this trailer. I do like this idea the best. I too do alot of side loading and do not want it mounted on the side. I never have really loaded with overhang in the front so I think I am going to mount there using a 2" square receiver setup. that way I can take the spare mount off and throw in back of truck if I need too.

Last edited:
   / spare tire mount?... #9  

That's a great idea,why didn't I think of that. :D

I'll admit most of the time none of my trailers have spares nearby - in thousands of miles and 15+ years of towing, we've only had 2 flats. One on the road and one at home (I ran into it with a bobcat bucket tooth - oops!). Knock on wood LOL.

/ spare tire mount?... #10  
PJ trailers has a spare tire mount that slides into any of your stake pockets. This allows you to place your spade tire just about anywhere.
I like this idea, easy to move if loading from the side, under deck would be nice if you have the clearance and dont live in the rust belt.