Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Case 485

Default spare tire mount?...

I have a 20' car hauler(no sides) looking for ideas on where to mount the spare tire. I have a tool box on the tongue behind the jack, maybe make a raised mount? Currently have the trailer torn apart and fixing a cracked frame and putting new floor in it. Any ideas or pics?
    thx

Tractor
    Kubota M7040, Bobcat CT235, Kubota BX23 TLB & RTV 900

Default Re: spare tire mount?...

PJ trailers has a spare tire mount that slides into any of your stake pockets. This allows you to place your spade tire just about anywhere.
    F350 6.4 Dually, PJ 14K 20', PJ 3.5K

Tractor
    Bobcat S185 skid steer - Ferris IS500Z - JD GT235

I've got these HF spare carriers on 2 of my 4 trailers. But I don't have a box mounted on the tongue of either.
    Todd

Also - E Terra E 60 SSQA backhoe • Erskine 73" blower •TSC QA boom pole • Bradco 48" forks • JLG T350 Boom Lift • 1997 Ford F Super Duty 7.3 Powerstroke w/ Altec AT 200A bucket • CAM Superline 6x12 dump • Kristi 7x18 enclosed • American Hauler 7x14 enclosed

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Case 485

Quote Originally Posted by JJZ 109 View Post
    I've got these HF spare carriers on 2 of my 4 trailers. But I don't have a box mounted on the tongue of either.

Thanks for posting that, did not realize they carried those. That will save some fab work, think i can modify it for my needs

Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

i prefer underdeck. I didnt want mine mounted to the side due to the amount of side loading i do. dont really have room in the front due to toolbox.
    Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

Tractor
    yanmar YM-1700

Get a spare tire winch mechanism from underneath a dodge caravan ( mini van ) the cost will be around 20.00 from your local salvage, or they can be purchased new from dealership but will cost close to 100.00 ..... bolt the winch just inside the trailers box frame allowing enough from the edge to accommodate the tire size, to a cross member rail anywhere under the trailer, You may want to add an additional pc across higher up closer to the decking to obtain more clearance, this would depend on the trailers actual height, Oh! and be sure to get the crank rod that matched the spline shaft of the wench,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spare tire mount?...-kgrhqeokpye25eqko4kbn1whqnm6-_1_2193_1.jpg   spare tire mount?...-dsc02811.jpg  
    Never judge a man until you've walked a day in his shoes,

Silver Member

looks cool

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Case 485

Quote Originally Posted by deepNdirt View Post
    Get a spare tire winch mechanism from underneath a dodge caravan ( mini van ) the cost will be around 20.00 from your local salvage, or they can be purchased new from dealership but will cost close to 100.00 ..... bolt the winch just inside the trailers box frame allowing enough from the edge to accommodate the tire size, to a cross member rail anywhere under the trailer, You may want to add an additional pc across higher up closer to the decking to obtain more clearance, this would depend on the trailers actual height, Oh! and be sure to get the crank rod that matched the spline shaft of the wench,
    I have been looking at this way to mount it. I think my trailer is to low to the ground to work. I run a real short 10 ply 16" tires on it, not the standard 235's. If my measurrements are correct my spare would hang a good 4-6" below the axle tube. With all the pastures and off angle ditch's I cross, I dont think this would work on this trailer. I do like this idea the best. I too do alot of side loading and do not want it mounted on the side. I never have really loaded with overhang in the front so I think I am going to mount there using a 2" square receiver setup. that way I can take the spare mount off and throw in back of truck if I need too.
    Last edited by Case485Guy; 01-15-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Tractor
    1959 MF 35 deluxe, gas

That's a great idea,why didn't I think of that.

I'll admit most of the time none of my trailers have spares nearby - in thousands of miles and 15+ years of towing, we've only had 2 flats. One on the road and one at home (I ran into it with a bobcat bucket tooth - oops!). Knock on wood LOL.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Oliver 1855, Case 1840, Cub 1550

Quote Originally Posted by gumshu View Post
    PJ trailers has a spare tire mount that slides into any of your stake pockets. This allows you to place your spade tire just about anywhere.
    I like this idea, easy to move if loading from the side, under deck would be nice if you have the clearance and dont live in the rust belt.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast