Preferred Style Of Tire Chains?

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #51  
I talked to an older gentleman on the phone and he did not really seem to keen on the idea. He also screwed up the order. I got 8 pairs of non v-bar duo grips instead of the v-bars. I should have listened to him though when he offered to include the tractor chain tool in the order and after messing around with some 5/16 dually chains I promptly went online and ordered them!

I would agree with you that they are probably making a blanket statement to cover their rears. And a tractor shouldn't ever need to be moving more than a couple mph but some machines are capable of running 25 mph, which is what they say the max speed for their chains are. I'd be very curious to see what 1/2" chains would look like on my machine, but I think im going to have to settle for the 3/8" for now. I would be more than willing to try some 2 link ladder bars especially with v-bars, I think that would be just about all the height I would need even if they were laying perfectly between the treads which would almost never completely happen. I have often wondered what those great big ring chains would ride like in a tractor. Its pretty soft out in the woods, I think a hard packed driveway might just about jar my teeth outta my skull with them though. My mind tends to wander alot farther than my wallet can follow!

Good discussion all.

Well RNR I cannot tell you how ring chains react on a tractor but I can tell you how they feel on a 24K and 16K lbs skidders. If you weren't looking at them, you would't know they were there. I suppose you can hear them as well.

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #52  
Arrow, that RNR is pretty clever, I think Ill have to add that to my posts. The traction of those ring chains would be phenominal in the soft stuff, i was just picturing them on a frozen road and hitting the high and low spots lol. I don't think my tractor has enough a&^ to sink them into frozen ground. The wife may tear me a new one if I tore the driveway up to! :confused3:

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #53  
Just for interest:

Attached are a couple of pages from the Long Life Chains catalogue. One shows a zig-zag pattern for truck chains, and the other with test results comparing efectiveness of studs, ordinary chains(4-link ladder?), and Tellesfdal NORTRACTOR chains to no chains.

Attachments

• ChainTests.JPG
    ChainTests.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 169
  • TruckChains_p8.pdf
    429.7 KB · Views: 134
   / Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #54  
[QUOTE="RedNeckRacin;3178303 The wife may tear me a new one if I tore the driveway up to! :confused3:[/QUOTE]

Red Neck if you are worried about the driveway look into the rubber tire chain. I purchased this year because of a new driveway so far they worked great. I have a hill to plow no problem.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #55  
Red Neck if you are worried about the driveway look into the rubber tire chain. I purchased this year because of a new driveway so far they worked great. I have a hill to plow no problem.

Well, I'm not to worried about it per say, and its basically just a gas well road that we adopted and extended to turn into our driveway/parking lot area. Putting some v-bar or R-1 marks into it doesn't concern me, but those big skidder rings would do a number on just about any solid surface especially in 4wd.

Looks like you guys are getting some snow up your way this weekend though!

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #56  
Looks like you guys are getting some snow up your way this weekend though!

It is 10:30 AM snow started about 2 hours ago, fast and heavy. If we get what is predicted I will have plenty of tractor time. Hate snow but can't wait to have enough to go play. Only reason wife agreed to tractor with cab with heat was to keep me from being miserable when it snowed! That and a heart attack 12years ago after shoveling snow.

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #57  
It is 10:30 AM snow started about 2 hours ago, fast and heavy. If we get what is predicted I will have plenty of tractor time. Hate snow but can't wait to have enough to go play. Only reason wife agreed to tractor with cab with heat was to keep me from being miserable when it snowed! That and a heart attack 12years ago after shoveling snow.

Dam, a heart attack would certainly be a good enough reason to get inside a cabbed tractor! I cant believe how much more willing I am to go out and work in the winter time when that heat is there! I even brushhog in the rain sometime since its time put to good use! Chains will be a big help with the 2' of snow they are calling for im sure!

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #58  
I may be a bit a head of my self only about 3 inches but after watching the snow for 6 hours I'm about to go push snow. Then I will hold off until this evening.

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #59  
Chains will be a big help with the 2' of snow they are calling for im sure!

If this pans out the way they say its going to (24"-32") This will be the largest snow storm my tractor will have confronted with my simple 4 link chains on at the rears. I have 2 links on the front but they are tiny car tire type. I'm gonna wait until it all dumps in.

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #60  
Hey arrow, how did those chains work out for you? Im guessing you got plenty of seat time!