Preferred Style Of Tire Chains?

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #61  
Hey arrow, how did those chains work out for you? Im guessing you got plenty of seat time!

Quite well RedNeck. Made all the difference pushing big snow. I have pictures in the "Snow Removal" forum section under "Blizzard of 2013" !st post

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #62  
IMO:
The best style are the most spendy. Square, where there are always 2 chains between tire & planet, no matter the fit or tire type. The next best is typically the next most expenive (go figure), 2 link. Even w/ deep Ag lugs you should always get something to stick. The 3rd best (sometimes) are next in price. Duo style. Designed specifically to force some chain on the lug at all times. Problem is, according to 2 manufacturers I spoke with, is that they do this at the expensive of tremendous stress in the links that hold the 2 dous together. I was told these are OK for mud & a field, but not for plowing snow on a hard packed gravel road. I was told, "your gunna tear them up". 4 link ladder are probably good enough for most unless your a pro, or (as in my case), you have good condition Ag tires w/ deep lugs. I went with the 2 link chains. My primary purpose is plowing heavy snow on a gravel road.
Tight vs Loose. For us slow movers loose-ish is best for a few reasons, especially if you choose 4 link & have Ag tires. Gravity will pull the chain down, and hopefully a lug will catch it. Tight fit will only help to keep all your chain up inside the lugs. If you go with the more spendy styles it probably won't hurt to be tight, but just cause more trouble to mount....and offers no real upside.
For your pickup on the highway, tight makes a bit more sense.

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #63  
FLH, that is sort of the picture I'm putting together. There isn't much sense in going with the cheapest chains if you are already committed to buying chains becaue of previous issues. I agree with running the chains a little bit loose as well, My duo's on the front took me for a ride last year. Lesson learned. I'm leaning towards a set of talons I think. Ring chains are just a bit to aggressive for running down the township road!

Arrow,
Thanks for the update, I'll have to check the pics out!