Preferred Style Of Tire Chains?

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #1  

jimainiac

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830HST
I'm in the process of looking for chains for my Kubota L3830, with 17.5Lx24, R4 industrial tires. I'm leaning strongly toward ice-studded chains in an "H" pattern. I've seen them in use around here, and they seem pretty aggressive, which is what I'm after. I'm dealing with snow and ice on hilly terrain. Our driveways are gravel and we live on a gravel road, so the "tear up" factor is low. We also intend to head into our woods for firewood, and may be dealing with mud, come Spring and Summer.
I don't have clearance issues now that I've set the wheels out to the widest position. I now have four inches of space between the back sidewall and the fender.
This style of chain is quite pricey, and I guess a more economical compromise would be the "duo" style, which is basically a ladder type chain with every two cross chains hooked together, to keep them up and out of the tire tread lugs. Apparently this style gives a bumpy ride because of the space in the tread with no chain.
Just wondering what others prefer, and why? Maybe I've missed something...

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #2  
If you don't plan on going on the pavement vbar chains will be great. They will be really good on ice. I have always ran regular ladder chains on a ford 8N without problems. I don't have chains for the 4240 yet but after we get a good ice storm I am sure I will want some. If you want some real aggressive the duo ladder vbar combo chains, but they are expensive. Tirechain.com has some good prices.

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #4  
I think you'd be well pleased with a set of 2 link ladder chains. If you need ice grip because of dangerous terrain, then get the v-bars. If not, even regular chains will turn your tractor into a grip monster.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    2.9 KB · Views: 955
   / Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #5  
Chains seem to be real cheap here at garage sales...

I picked up a couple of truck sets for almost nothing and put them together to fit my BX.

They are V-Bar style.

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #6  
The price of these were $365 in 2005 they are 8mm chains on 12.4 X 24 R1's. So they are going on 8 years old. They last a long time. They say that inflation is low but everything I look at it seems the price has doubled or trippled.

Attachments

• Tractor2.JPG
    Tractor2.JPG
    715.7 KB · Views: 1,288
   / Preferred Style Of Tire Chains?
Gordon, those are the type chains I'm interested in. Granted, my size being wider, they'd be a bit more money, but I'm seeing $900-$1000 range. That's why I'm still looking. Glad there's no inflation.
I called Labonvilles in Gorham, NH. I figured they'd have high quality chains, and they do, but $1700(!) was a little rich for my blood.

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #8  
Mine were made in Norway by Tellefsdal. I believe they came to my dealer ( now closed ) via Canada.

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #9  
Gordon, those are the type chains I'm interested in. Granted, my size being wider, they'd be a bit more money, but I'm seeing $900-$1000 range. That's why I'm still looking. Glad there's no inflation.
I called Labonvilles in Gorham, NH. I figured they'd have high quality chains, and they do, but $1700(!) was a little rich for my blood.

2-link v-bar ladders are pretty nasty. I've been running them on the front of my L4200 for the last 3 years - I bought regular 2-link ladders for the back too, but haven't found a need to even put them on yet.

17.5-24 Tire Chains

JayC

/ Preferred Style Of Tire Chains? #10  
2-link v-bar ladders are pretty nasty. I've been running them on the front of my L4200 for the last 3 years - I bought regular 2-link ladders for the back too, but haven't found a need to even put them on yet.

17.5-24 Tire Chains

JayC

Couldn't agree more. Shouldn't consider ladder type chain out of the picture at all as they will certainly make a world of difference. Plus they are less than $700. You can pay almost twice that but performance will not go up accordingly. Any chain makes a remarkable difference. Enhancement of chain such as v-bars just builds on the remarkableness. (if that isn't a word it should be)