Silver Member

Default Home-Made Tire Spoons (Mini-Project)

Goodmorning, everyone!!

So, here's a quick little job that I just thought I'd share...

Last weekend, I picked up a 2006 Kawasaki KLR650 for a song, but part of the reason that the bike was so cheap, was that the tires and brakes were pretty much worn out...

So, I ordered up a set of Shinko 705's, and some EBC brake pads, and set about showing this bike some love...

Now, I'd never installed a tire (I'd sliced a few with a saw-zall to scrap the rims they were on, tho, haha), so I called up my mechanic friend Danny...

He said he'd changed a ton of them, and it wouldn't be a problem at all... I just needed some tire-spoons and a valve core tool... That worked out really well, I weld stuff up for him all the time, and he helps me out with projects like this...

Anyway, I knew the Tractor Supply store where I used to work (loved it there, but I quit when I started school) sold Tire-Spoons, so a quick stop was all I needed, right?

Nope... I got to the tire isle, and saw that these simple little steel devices were THIRTY FRIGGIN' DOLLARS a PIECE!! And I needed three of them... Come to think of it, in the nine months I worked at that place, I honestly dont think I ever sold or stocked a tire spoon... Guess I know why, now

I stood there in the isle for a minute thinking about what I could do now... I knew there were a couple of auto-parts stores about 15 miles away that would *probably* be open on a saturday, but I didn't really want to make that trip, and time is (as always) of the essence... I stay pretty busy now, but I like it that way...

Anyway, I knew I'd better think of something...

I could just heat and beat some 1" round stock I knew I had until it was spoon-shaped, but that would just be mild steel, and I was afraid I'd bend and/or break the tip off of it...

But then I got another idea...

I just wandered over to the tool isle and bought three pry-bars for $6 and $7 a piece, and prayed they weren't just hardened steel...

As soon as I got home, I traced out a radius over the ends of them, and hit it real quick with the ForceCut 42i...

Then I took an abrasive wheel to them, and as soon as that disc made contact, I knew I wasnt working with mild steel...

The sparks were bright and had a lot of flair, indicating they were tool steel!! For a change, something turned out just like I hoped it would

I took an 80-grit flap disc and went over everything to remove those tube-slicing burrs, and called it a day...

Danny showed up, we lifted up half the bike at a time with a chain-lift, and had those tires off and on in no time...

I still maintain that front tire is on there bass-ack-wards, but we installed it according to the "ROTATION" arrow, so I guess all is well

After switching out brake pads, we put everything back together and called it a night...

I saved roughly $50 versus having the tires mounted, got a lesson in installing tube-type motorcycle tires, and got a set of home-made tools I'll use well into the future... So, I'm pretty thrilled...

What would I have done differently? Well, They were a little on the "thick" side... I think I'm going to grind some of the "meat" off the back of the "spoons" so they're a little easier to get between the bead, and the rim...

But the bike is in MUCH better shape now, and I'm pretty happy... Doesnt take much

Haha...

I just thought I'd share, hopefully this can help someone else save a few bucks on tire spoons....

Thanks for reading, everyone, and have an awesome weekend!!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    08 Cub Ex3200

Default Re: Home-Made Tire Spoons (Mini-Project)

You'll notice that alot with bike tires, the front will be completely opposite tread pattern from the rear as far as rotation. New skins make anything look new(er) doesnt it?

A tip to help keep from pinching the tube while putting the tire on the rim is to put some air in it.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

I've built them from old engine cranks and hammered the ends after heating them up. It's amazing how you can forge your own stuff if you try.
    Mark Lugo
    Everlast Welders
    http://www.everlastgenerators.com/

Need a welder? Give me a call at (877) 755-9353 ext 204!