Tire Chain Repair Tool

/ Tire Chain Repair Tool #1  

bigtiller

Tractor
JD 2720 & 3039R
I need a chain repair tool but I have never used one before. I found one from tirechains.com but they have two to choose from. One has an 18 inch handle and the other has a 33 inch handle. I think they both have the same head. I am working with 3/8 inch chain.

My question is, do I need the 33" handle one or will the 18" one work just fine?

Here is a link for a video of them working on slightly smaller chain.

Large Repair Pliar

/ Tire Chain Repair Tool #2  
One word...leverage.

We had the long handle at the old farm for large tire chains

I would for the $10 difference

/ Tire Chain Repair Tool #3  
I bought the larger one. It works well on 3/8" chains. I haven't used the smaller one so don't know how it works.

It might pay to see if local chain suppliers stock the tools. I bought the large one locally (Western Equipment here in Vernon) for $62.50. It appears to be the same as the one at tirechains.com. Perhaps the difference is for shipping.

/ Tire Chain Repair Tool
I bought the larger one. It works well on 3/8" chains. I haven't used the smaller one so don't know how it works.

It might pay to see if local chain suppliers stock the tools. I bought the large one locally (Western Equipment here in Vernon) for $62.50. It appears to be the same as the one at tirechains.com. Perhaps the difference is for shipping.

The large ones want an additional $19 for shipping. That makes them $109. I think I will check around a bit.

/ Tire Chain Repair Tool #6  
I have the larger tool and based on using on the 1/4 and 5/16 chain I would definitely buy the larger tool.

/ Tire Chain Repair Tool #7  
+2 I bought the larger tool from Tirechains.com as well and it takes two of us pulling on the handles to open and close links on my rear chains. I cannot imagine using a smaller one unless it had a hydraulic cylinder attached to the arms. :)

/ Tire Chain Repair Tool
Thanks for the help guys, I'll get the big one.

I have looked at TSC, Northern Tool, Theisens, Home Depot, and Lowe's with no lick. I guess my only choice is buying the one from tirechains.com.

/ Tire Chain Repair Tool #9  
   / Tire Chain Repair Tool #10  
Anyone ever look into whether or not you could just buy the head and put it on a set of bolt cutters? I've always wondered. I hardly use my bolt cutters.