Length & Width of Tire Chains?

/ Length & Width of Tire Chains? #1  

maz

Tractor
None Yet
I just got a set of tire chains off of a MF 165 and want to put them on my MF 65 Industrial. The guy I bought them from wasnt sure what size the tires were on is tractor. Mine are 16.9x28. What should the length and width be for a chain to fit this tire?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

/ Length & Width of Tire Chains? #2  
It varies a lot with the pattern of the chains. A simple ladder chain with long cross links will be shorter then a chain with an H or diamond pattern or one with shorter cross links. As you already have them just drape them over your tires and drive forward until the free end comes out the back and see if you have too little too much or just right to hook them up.

/ Length & Width of Tire Chains?
Yea I guess I'll just have to see when i get out there to test fit them. They are a H pattern with joiner links, and a straight cross chain at each end. Since they most likely came off a 16.9x 34 or 38 then cutting one or two of those links that are straight across might work good.

Thanks

/ Length & Width of Tire Chains? #4  
I think, since you have them, the best thing to do is put them on and see how they fit. Even a new set of chains bought specifically for your tire size might not fit exactly right out of the box. There is some leeway in how far they come down over the sidewalls. You want the sidechains down far enough so you aren't worried about them coming off, and that's a function of how many links in the tread chains. If the set of chains are too long they can be cut shorter to fit properly, or you might have to get extra links to lengthen them. Not the end of the world if you got a good deal on the chains.

DSCN0498.jpg
Here's a pic, they seem to be in great shape, some surface rust, but next to no wear as far as i can see, and at 1/6th the cost of new

/ Length & Width of Tire Chains? #7  
Good for you for scoring a nice set of "gently used" chains. Hope you can make them fit your tires. They're duo-grip style. There are a bunch of places online that sell chain to extend them if needed, or to add cross chains. Or a local auto parts store.

/ Length & Width of Tire Chains? #8  
I checked the Laclede and Quality Chains catalogues for 16.9 x 28 tires. They both suggest DUO262 having 10 DUO297 patterns, which have 14 links in the cross chain. Yours have 15 links so they are a bit wider. CanadianChains sell Quality Chain products. A set of DUO262 is $510 including shipping. Tirechains.com in the USA's price is $490.54 but shipping will be expensive to Canada.

Since your chains have 6 patterns you may need another 4 for each chain. CanadianChains' price for cross chains is very expensive. They quoted around $40 each (including shipping) for 8 patterns of my 13-link DUOs. I was able to get them as bulk DUO chain from the local supplier (Western Equipment in Prince George) for $20.90 per pattern. They shipped them free to their Vernon office for me.

If you need extra patterns you may want to check with local chain/cable suppliers and see if they sell bulk DUO chain.

My DUO's were very rough due to a small diameter tire which increases the gap between patterns. I modified them to close the gap as shown in this thread:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/268885-duo-chains-planned-modifications.html

Your tires are larger and the inter-pattern gap may not be as noticeable. And mine worked OK before I modified them, the ride was just very rough.

Thanks for the help. I've come to find out that there is a possibility that the chains came off a MF165 with 14.9x28 and if that is the case no modification will be needed. I keep my fingers crossed for that outcome.

Thanks

Well got to try the chains today and luckily they fit with NO modification!!! Plus they helped so so much. I could actually make it up the hill on the driveway with the snow and ice.