Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience?

/ Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience? #1  

Gasifier

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 310J, Kubota L4310
Hey guys. I am thinking of buying some tire chains for my tractor. What can you give me for advice. Thinking of Duo-ladder Combination from Tirechains.com. Like these. Duo Ladder Tractor Tire Chains

Well. Tried to load a picture from my computer but that didn't seem to work for some reason.

Did I ask you guys this already? :laughing:

/ Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience? #2  
I have them and I think they're great!

However, it really depends on your tractor's size, weight and tire type...as well as your circumstances. If you have a hilly driveway, chains would be great. If a level drive and the right tires, might not need 'em.

In my case, I have 4-Link Ladder type chains for R-3 Turf tires. Since I've moved to Vermont (Dec 2012), I haven't installed the chains (they're under the snow somewhere!) and my turf tires work quite well without them. We've had quite a bit of snow too...

Last edited:
   / Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience? #3  
they make all the differencec in the world if you doing anything where you are moving piles of snow! They are especially helpful when it gets icy out and those big tractor lugs dont like to bite.

/ Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience?
I own a Kubota L3710 with a loader and woods backhoe on the rear. I leave that on there for the weight. I have 17.5L x 24 Industrial tires on it. But even with four wheel drive I find myself sliding around a lot. One of my parking areas has a pretty decent incline to it. My drives and parking areas are not paved, they are stone. So I am not worried about hurting and pavement or concrete with the chains. The snow often gets packed down and even with four wheel drive engaged I slip and slide sometimes. I also cut my own wood and have had a hard time getting up certain hills when the conditions are right. I do all my wood cutting in the winter. Then I don't have to contend with the heat and the bugs. Love working outside in the winter time. Anywho, I think the chains would be the best solution. Anyone have experience with tirechains.com?

/ Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience? #5  
When I was shopping for chains, Tirechain.com was at the top of the list. But the shipping $$ was a problem for me. I even thought about building my own. Then just for fun a got a price from a local NH dealer. He did not charge for shipping if you could place an order, then wait until he got 5 more orders. He did not get charged for shipping for that size order and passed it on to his customers. I bought from him. His selection was limited, but it was still worth it.

/ Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience? #6  
You'll love them Gas. Great in the snow & woods. Like the above post, check (any) local tractor dealer for $$. With your industrial tires it will not matter as much as with Ag's if you get single cross chains. Save your money. If you can, go with the local guy.:)

/ Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience? #7  
Duo ladders are good but these are better. Can be tough on pavement though.
icechains_zpscf915f05.jpg

/ Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience? #9  
Duo ladders are good but these are better. Can be tough on pavement though.
icechains_zpscf915f05.jpg

vtsnowedin, those are 'Talons', right? I don't see where you mentioned what the chains are you're running.

I've got Aquiline MPC chains on the rear of my Kioti, low profile for not a lot of fender clearance, not quite as aggressive as Talons, but more aggressive than duos. they use a flat bar on each link for gription and won't drop between the lugs on R4s.

/ Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience?
I have seen the talons or whatever you call those type of chains. They look excellent but they also come with an expensive price tag. A lot more than the duo-ladders. The duo-ladders should not fall between the lugs of the R-4s. That is one of the types designed for use in the deeper tread tires. They also have them with v-bars for even better traction and wear but they are much more expensive as well.