I Already Took Off the Snowblower and Tire Chains

/ I Already Took Off the Snowblower and Tire Chains #41  
Around here we get snow most years all the way past april. No way I'm taking the blower off till middle of may.

You really get blowable snow in May? I've never seen that up here, it sometimes falls but melts on contact and even that is highly unusual. Latest dump I ever cleared was April 20, freak 7-inch storm 2 years ago. That's considerably outside contract limits (they end April 10) but did it free of surcharge anyway, going the extra mile is always a good investment. Lot of guys did not go out, their equipment had been removed from their machines. It's a good and reasonable excuse but customers don't always see it that way.

/ I Already Took Off the Snowblower and Tire Chains #42  
Spring might be near, but this morning was still -31'C.

Phew! I just saw you live way up north. Was afraid for a sec some frigid front was heading this way.

/ I Already Took Off the Snowblower and Tire Chains #43  
You really get blowable snow in May? I've never seen that up here, it sometimes falls but melts on contact and even that is highly unusual. Latest dump I ever cleared was April 20, freak 7-inch storm 2 years ago. That's considerably outside contract limits (they end April 10) but did it free of surcharge anyway, going the extra mile is always a good investment. Lot of guys did not go out, their equipment had been removed from their machines. It's a good and reasonable excuse but customers don't always see it that way.

I'm old enough to remember storms from the 60's till now. In 79 we had a 20 inch storm on may 15th. Not a common thing but has been known to happen. We have had over a foot storms most years in April. We can't plant till after may for fear of frost here.

/ I Already Took Off the Snowblower and Tire Chains #44  
This year, like last year, all the late season snow is hitting the east. Its supposed to be 45 and rainy here in Idaho today.

Thats ok, ive had enough winter this year. We really do need the rain here, so im ok with that.

On the 30th of the month were having our 5th annual "I'm sick of winter" BBQ at my house with a group of friends and neighbors. Tri tips and BBQ chicken on the menu....cant wait.

/ I Already Took Off the Snowblower and Tire Chains #45  
I took my snow blower off and put it away well over a week ago. Monday night/Tuesday morning we got about 6 inches of wet, packy stuff. Pushed it out of the way and piled it up with the bucket. I just don't see us getting enough snow in the remainder of the season to put the blower back on.

/ I Already Took Off the Snowblower and Tire Chains #46  

On the 30th of the month were having our 5th annual "I'm sick of winter" BBQ at my house with a group of friends and neighbors. Tri tips and BBQ chicken on the menu....cant wait.

What a great idea.

/ I Already Took Off the Snowblower and Tire Chains #47  
What a great idea.
yup, it started out 5 years ago as a joke...that was the year we had 120" of snowfall. winter lasted forever. Now everyone calls me and asks when this years bbq is.

/ I Already Took Off the Snowblower and Tire Chains #48  
We had 10" yesterday. I was glad my chains and blower are still on. The snow was very blowable but the driveway underneath the snow is warm and wet enough that driving on the snow just creates an ice slick under the tire. 10" is a bit more than I want to try to drive through while it melts, and I have to clean in front of the mailbox anyways if we are going to get mail.

/ I Already Took Off the Snowblower and Tire Chains #49  
I took the chains off two snowstorms back, just before reading the forecast. The snowblower was still on. I was nervous about traction in 14" of very heavy, wet snow, deeper in places, but my Massey 1528 had no problem at all. 1/3 mile of gravel so care required not to throw too much of the stuff. So happy I didn't have to wrestle the chains back on. Now it's 'way too cold and windy for April (this is ridiculous) but that really may have been the last time out. Now if I could just get the motorcycles out . . .

Tom

/ I Already Took Off the Snowblower and Tire Chains
Wow - 14" of snow now? That kind of North Dakota thing is hard for me to relate to. I've spent the last few days outside in short sleeves - even got some sunburn.
I can, however, relate to the long gravel driveway. I've now been spreading tons of gravel to fix wheel ruts and grade the driveway better.