Removing real tire

/ Removing real tire #1  

LoBul

Tractor
MTD
Need to remove the rear rim from my 20 year old MTD lawn tractor.I removed the axle nut on the outside, which appears to be the only fastening device, but will not budge.The rim cylinder looks to be riding on a sleeve and the sleeve is on the axle. Looks rusty so I applied lubricating oil and some pounding, which has a limited amount of space to swing a hammer. Still will not budge. Any suggestions??

/ Removing real tire #3  
I doubt that you will get that off without damaging the rim if it has been 20 years of rust collecting on it. Good penetrating oil, some heat, more oil, more heat, more pounding might eventually loosen it up. You need something like a big wheel puller that will put equal pressure of 2 or 3 sides at once. Brother in Law JD Gator has the same thing on the front wheel and its been off at least twice in 2 years and greased up when back and it still took some pounding to get it free, once it moved just a little, then it came right off like it may have a slight taper fit. Good luck.

/ Removing real tire
Thanks for the advice. Tire has dry rot and will not hold air.Hate to have to buy a new tractor for this reason. Think I may just cut it off and try to put a new tire on it.

/ Removing real tire #5  
That shouldn't be too hard to do if you have some tire irons. You should be able to pop off the old tire also. By doing that, you will see how hard (or easy) the new tire is going to be to put on. Soap it up good to make it slip off and new one on.

/ Removing real tire #6  
of coARSE You want to get off if you can but if not you should be able to get tire off rim while still on tractor with harbor freight tire irones or if you have some old prybars and a grinder you can make your own.

/ Removing real tire
Sounds like a plan . Thanks

/ Removing real tire #8  
It can be a bear to take off the rims off the lawn tractors axles. I always had to put opposite force on it like a puller at the same time using rust killer sprayed on both sides every 10 blows of hammer. I used a sledge hammer and lots of sweat. With this combination I can geet the tires off - then put never sieze on it afterwards, but I doubt the tractor will last that long afterwards.

/ Removing real tire #9  
Thanks for the advice. Tire has dry rot and will not hold air.Hate to have to buy a new tractor for this reason. Think I may just cut it off and try to put a new tire on it.

That's exactly what I did on two tires on my lawn tractor. It's a bit of a hassle, but you can do it and save the rim and extra hassle of trying to get it off.

/ Removing real tire #10  
Need to remove the rear rim from my 20 year old MTD lawn tractor.I removed the axle nut on the outside, which appears to be the only fastening device, but will not budge.The rim cylinder looks to be riding on a sleeve and the sleeve is on the axle. Looks rusty so I applied lubricating oil and some pounding, which has a limited amount of space to swing a hammer. Still will not budge. Any suggestions??

I had a similar problem taking off a rear tire off my CT 235 ( I change from Ag to Turf every year). I wouldn't budge so a friend said use a long pry bar (I have a 6 foot bar), place it in behind and try to find a spot that is solid (ie frame) and mine popped right off. I now grease the tire before making the change and it works perfect.

Fred