Custom tire width issue

/ Custom tire width issue #1  

jschreib26

Tractor
NH 1925
Hello friends,
I farm vegetables with a New Holland 1925. After much research I recently had help customizing my rims and tires to allow me the correct width to straddle a growing bed. The ag tires are now 5ft. on center, and the tires are slightly larger than the ags recommended for the tractor (necessary to accomodate these particular rims), which give higher clearance. Great. But when I got them on and tore out of the garage I found that a tight turn rubs the front tire against the upright of the loader. Not great, especially since that upright corner is very sharp and almost punctured the tire before I noticed it.

It's very close (in fact it doesn't look at all like it would rub -- seems like an inch or so in either direction would clear it) and so I cut out the sharp corner of the loader upright. Still hits it. Now, I'm not sure what to do. I invested a lot in these rims and tires, and can't go out any further with spacers (or get narrower). I'm wondering if I fiddled around with the toe in to see if that'll clear it? Any other ideas?
Thanks, Jeff

/ Custom tire width issue #2  
Got any pictures?

/ Custom tire width issue #3  
Does your axle have steering stops you can adjust?

/ Custom tire width issue
The people helping me with the tires recommended steering stops. What do these look like or entail? Would it be a big job to install such stops? They are not ideal, as I have lots of tight spaces and need my turning radius, but that would be better than nothing.

early spring 2013 072.jpg

In the above pic you should be able to see the mud on the loader upright indicating just where the wheel is rubbing. Not much, but I was also trying to check my own steering.

/ Custom tire width issue #7  
The people helping me with the tires recommended steering stops. What do these look like or entail? Would it be a big job to install such stops? They are not ideal, as I have lots of tight spaces and need my turning radius, but that would be better than nothing.

On my tractor the knuckles have a bolt and a locking nut for steering stops. Key 16 & 17 in the picture

Attachments

• tractorknuckle.gif
    tractorknuckle.gif
    37.1 KB · Views: 264
   / Custom tire width issue #8  
Yep, just adjust the steering stops out and re-tighten the jam nut. Or remove the loader and brackets.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using TractorByNet

Thanks all -- That was my next question: I adjust the bolt out, not in? They are seized up quite a bit, but I got one loose and adjusted it in 5 mm. No effect. So, once I get the other one moving I should take them both out, so they are longer?
Jeff

/ Custom tire width issue #10  
Yes you want the bolt to hit the jam on the steering knuckle before the tire hits the FEL frame.