Increasing tire width (L3800)

/ Increasing tire width (L3800) #1  

Mountain Hill

Tractor
Kubota L3800HST
Just purchased a L3800, waiting(and waiting) on Ag tires to arrive and be installed. We have steep slopes so, I'm considering increasing the width for stability.
1) how can width be increased, and by how much?
2) currently tractor is 60" wide, I purchased 65" box scraper, should I move up to a BSS72", to deal with extra width, and/or would a 72" bb, be advisable regardless.

Thanks

Last edited:
   / Increasing tire width (L3800) #2  
If it is like my L3400 there is a few different ways to mount the tires to change the width of the tractor. You'll have to take a good pic of your wheel rim and hub and how it is mounted and we can tell you if it is already at its widest or not.

Aside from that...you can get wheel spacers. Some have ran them with luck, but they do put more stress on the axle, bearings, and seals.

/ Increasing tire width (L3800) #3  
They are usually shipped narrow. With Ag tires you'll have a two piece rim and can step the tires out by reversing the inner dish. To get max width you need to reverse the rims as well which would require remounting the tires to get the lugs oriented correctly.

I reversed the dish only and on hilly ground with the rears loaded, find the stability acceptable. If the dealer still has your tractor, have him do the mods before you load the tires, it is a lot easier. Your dealer would have all this information as it is in the owner's manual that ships with the tractor.

In my owner's manual, page 41, the widths are listed with the narrowest being 40.2 inches, center of tread to center of tread and 50.8 inches at the widest.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
   / Increasing tire width (L3800) #4  
Mine was shipped with the dishes out, so I didnt need to do that. But the rim to dish connection is where I gained. If you do reverse the rims, no need to break the tire down and remount, just swap sides.....

/ Increasing tire width (L3800) #5  
LD1,

I stand corrected. The way it worked in my brain and the way it works when I went out and stared at the tractor wheel were different. Once the dishes are out swapping rears gives you the 50.8 inch tread. Mine shipped narrow due to the fact that ocean shippers charge by the cube and a wider stance would have increased the ocean freight cost.

/ Increasing tire width (L3800) #6  
Mine came with dishes out.....you can take the tire/rim and move them from right side to left and it will increase the width without breaking down tires or having to do any other swapping

/ Increasing tire width (L3800)
Ok, if I understand, with the Ag tires, you have the option of two different widths, depending if the inner dish rims are facing in or out. I measured my L3800 with the industrial tires and it measured 60"(outer edge to outer edge) ,will width be same with Ag tires. I still wondering if the 65" Box Scrapper is the correct width?

/ Increasing tire width (L3800) #8  
Ok, if I understand, with the Ag tires, you have the option of two different widths, depending if the inner dish rims are facing in or out. I measured my L3800 with the industrial tires and it measured 60"(outer edge to outer edge) ,will width be same with Ag tires. I still wondering if the 65" Box Scrapper is the correct width?

I am not sure on the industrial rims, again, pics would help.

But on the ags, there is about 8 different options. The rim and hub are two separate parts. The rim bolts to the hub through "lugs" that are on the rim. These "lugs" are offset from center and about 2" thick.

So...
1. You can mount the rim to the hub with the lug to the inside...
2. You can mount it with the lug to the outside...
3. You can flip the rim around (swap sides) and mount to the inside
4. With the rim flipped. you can mount with the lug to the outside. Swapping sides or flipping the rim around works cause the lugs are offset as I mentioned earlier. (at least I think)

Now that is only 4 options, but you can do them 4 with the dishes in, or you can do them with the dishes out.

All of them may not work due to fender clearance, but I dont know cause I havent tried. I set mine widest and left it. You just have to look at them and you can tell if there is more to be gained.

/ Increasing tire width (L3800)
Thanks LD 1, I ll speak with dealer, get them to set tires wide. Chains are needed her for winter conditions, so that's an important consideration!