Heaviest load rated 17" tire?

/ Heaviest load rated 17" tire? #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I am looking for the heaviest load rated tires I can find that will fit a 17" wheel and are 265 70 17 or close to it in size. All I am finding is load range E at 3195 lbs. I have found larger 17" tires that have a higher pound rating but they won't fit as my trucks are stock height.

I am not over the 3195lb but really close to it with the trailers on and have popped a couple back tires. I know upgrading to a 19.5s or something like that is an option but I have three trucks and buying 15 new wheels and tires is not in the budget right now.

I was hoping to find a heavier duty tire that could handle the weight better.

/ Heaviest load rated 17" tire? #2  
What truck? Most Times you can go upto a 285.

Chris

/ Heaviest load rated 17" tire?
They are F-250's but they sit kind of low. I don't think anything larger will fit. I was really hoping for a same size but higher capacity. Are there no load range F or G or maybe just a brand that has higher than 3195 available?

/ Heaviest load rated 17" tire? #4  
Not sure on other brands.

Chris

/ Heaviest load rated 17" tire? #5  
If you need more than E's, are you sure you aren't overloading your truck? or axle?

/ Heaviest load rated 17" tire? #6  
If you need more than E's, are you sure you aren't overloading your truck? or axle?

That is a good point, sounds to me like you need at least DRW F-350's.

/ Heaviest load rated 17" tire?
I have been using these same trucks pulling the same trailers for 5 years. I do not think they are overloaded but they are close to the limit. I have blown three rear truck tires in over a quarter million miles. Mostly when it is over 100 degrees outside. Would a dually be better? I am sure it would but I ain't buying three of them. All I am looking for is stouter tires so that instead of being at 90% of their limit or whatever I am at that I have a larger safety margin.

/ Heaviest load rated 17" tire? #8  
A LT285/75R17 LRE or a LT295/70R17 LRE is also rated at 3195 lbs. The tire capacity is defined by the Tire and Rim Association and is standard for most major brands of tires that construct their tires to the standards of the TRA. You may find an off brand that has a different rating, but I wouldn't trust it. If you compare several major brands you will find that they all have the same rating for a given tire size and load range. If you are over the tire capacity, you are also likely over the capacity of other components. The only way to safely and properly fix this is to upgrade to a heavier truck.

About TRA

/ Heaviest load rated 17" tire? #9  
The highest rating I can find on a 17 in tire is E. Another part of the tire rating you may be able to change that may help is the speed rating. Higher speed rating = better tire life due to heat. Also run the tire pressure as close to the max tire/rim limit. It will help reduce the heat generated in the tire.

/ Heaviest load rated 17" tire? #10  
Also run the tire pressure as close to the max tire/rim limit. It will help reduce the heat generated in the tire.

NO not "as close" but AT the sidewall pressure listed for the capacity listed. If you run door jam pressures on a tire/truck that is near its limit, you will likely continue to blow tires. most are 80psi

FYI from tirerack

Wrangler SilentArmor LT285/75R16 "pro grade" whatever that means is listed by tirerack as having a 3750 max load. It also lists a tire weight of 59lbs which is a good 20lbs heavier than most of its other sizes. so there must be some extra steel/rubber in it.