Easy Eddie Tire question

/ Easy Eddie Tire question #1  

eahays

Tractor
2040 JD
Gang, I am new to the site and I appreciate the accumulated talent and experience represented here;

I have a MF283 with 18.4-30 inch tires that need replaced. Is there any reason I could not use a 16.9-30? Shouldn't any 30 inch rim accept 30 inch tires provided the width is not radically different?

I see several tires listed "on line" at reasonable prices but several are associated with a tractor type. Does it really matter?

BTW I don't do any heavy work with the tractor, only hay and occasionally cleaning out a farm stock tank.

Thanks for whatever you can share about tire application. VR Easy Eddie

/ Easy Eddie Tire question #2  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

I moved your thread to the Parts & Repairs forum. :)

/ Easy Eddie Tire question #3  
G'day and welcome I would not use that unless you are going to replace both tyres as the difference in rolling radius of the tyres will mean the diff centre will be working all the time you are driving which is not what they where designed to do, it is like driving round in circles as one wheel is turning further than the other.

Jon

/ Easy Eddie Tire question
Jon, thanks much for the reply. I would change both tires. The only reason I was thinking of a narrower tire is for overall width and price. I found the 16.9 R4 for the same price as 18.4 in r1.

Again, thanks for bothering to reply. Vr Ed