Tire Chains

/ Tire Chains #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
I have a JD 4115, and a set of tire chains that I am not very happy with. I bought the chains from tirechains.com because the price was good. Don't get me wrong, the quality of the chains is top notch, but the spaces between the chains is to wide. When I move snow, I have to go very slow or my teeth will shake loose from the up and down movement of the tractor. Does anyone know of someplace I can get chains that cover more of the tire so that I am riding on chain only.

Thanks
dj1701 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Tire Chains #2  
Can't help you with your chain search, but had to ask...

Where are you that you're getting snow? We hit about 95F today and it was "cooling down". Just curious... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Tire Chains #3  
You can probably just buy additional cross chains and add them between the existing ones. The chains for my NH 29D have three empty links between each cross chain so I'm sure I could double the number on "ladders". That would smooth the ride, but add quite a bit of weight.

I don't mind the bumpy ride so much as I don't go very fast, /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif but the chains have been a life saver on the ice - worth every penny ...

Brad in NH

/ Tire Chains #4  
Hi,

Do you have 2 link or 4 link chains?

2 link chains have a cross chain ever other side link, that is one empty link between the cross chains. The 4 link chains have three empty links between the cross chains...

Sounds like you may have the 4 link chains...if so maybe you should consider going with the 2 link...now if you have 2 link chains...what to do? you got me. Mabye a different style like the duro grip [if they are available in your size and if I remember the name right] might work better...

Still, chains will not give as smooth a ride as no chains do...but the 2 link I use aren't too bad at all. The smaller the tire the more the bump will be noticed I think, if 3/8 inch cross chains are used.

/ Tire Chains #5  
I have a somewhat unrelated question about chains that I thought I would ask since the general topic was broached.

Does anyone use non-steel chains on their tractors so they don't scrape up the asphalt surface? If so where do you get them? Do they work as well?
Larry

/ Tire Chains
Henro,
I have the Durogrip and am looking for a net style chain. Somthing that will cover the tire more. I have found a place, but the price for a set is over $800. for Pewag Chains. Here is the link for my tire. Let me know what you think.

The Link

/ Tire Chains
chrisjbell,
I live near Buffalo NY. It is around 70 during the day and no snow. We have been in the 50's already this summer and I have seen pine cones in the trees like never before. Some say that is a sign of a very bad winter. I know I have never seen so many pine cones before, and I have lived here all my life. That coupled with the rain and unseasonable cold makes me think we could be in for a bad one. Could be wrong, but it don't hurt to be ready.

dj1701 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Tire Chains #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Henro,
I have the Durogrip and am looking for a net style chain. Somthing that will cover the tire more. I have found a place, but the price for a set is over $800. for Pewag Chains. Here is the link for my tire. Let me know what you think.

[...]

Thanks )</font>

I think, without a doubt, that is the _longest_ web address I have ever seen!

Are you testing the chains out now on hard ground, or did you use them last winter & don't like them? There is a big difference running them in actual snow.

There are many different styles of chain, & links. A web-type would be heavy i'd think, seems like more than a person would need. What type of tire do you have to begin with?

--->Paul

/ Tire Chains #9  
I had the same complaint when I put chains on my little B1750, so when I traded up to my L3010 I went with skidder style chains. They maintain a continuous contact with the ground so there is no thump-thump action, though the inch long ice spikes are not suitable for paved surfaces. I bought them here in New England, but can't remember where. I've also seen chains in a ladder pattern that would give as smooth a ride or better.

Pete

/ Tire Chains #10  
I'm going to be in the market for chains,from what I can see from the link to tirechains.com at the bottom of the page the 2 link ladder chain seems to cover the tire pretty good.My rears are 43x16x20 and there price is 203.00 dollars plus shipping,thats a little cheaper than the 800.00 bucks for the set your looking into. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif