12-ply "impliment tire"... how tough?

/ 12-ply "impliment tire"... how tough? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
12-ply \"impliment tire\"... how tough?

I have a 12.5 x 16 (if I recall correctly) tire on the front of my backhoe/loader.

The origional tires were smoother than Telly Sevallas head. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I've had maybe 4 or 5 flats in same tire and finally got fed up with it. I"ve presumed I've had something imbedded in the tire that rubbed & punctured the tube.

So, on 1 side, I have this shiney new tire. Is a 12 ply tire tough enough to stand up to thorns? (under presumption I picked up another and was NOT something imbedded) or should I go ahead & slap some slime in there? (is it really possible to slap the slime? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif )

Just wondering as these flats really do slow down the fun.

Richard

/ 12-ply "impliment tire"... how tough? #2  
Re: 12-ply \"impliment tire\"... how tough?

Not sure on the 12 ply but it should be ok with thorns. I have used steel belted radial truck tires on the front of a tractor to deal with thorny fields. Works pretty well but still get a flat every now and then. The slimey stuff would be some added insurance I guess.

/ 12-ply "impliment tire"... how tough? #3  

I don't believe that slime works on tubed tires. Someone may correct me, but this information comes from my neighbor who runs a commercial equipment tire shop.

I put tubeless tires on all my wheels and always use slime (except highway vehicles). I very rarely have a puncture that won't seal in a few hours. In fact, I got a flat on my new BX at hour 5, put slime in all the tires and haven't had a problem since.

We also run slime in all of the ATV's at the deer camp (the middle of a mesquite thicket) and rarely have problems. We'll occasionally have a low tire, but they always seem to seal eventually.

/ 12-ply "impliment tire"... how tough? #4  

I believe that I read somewhere that Slime had a new version that you could put into tubes. Check out their web site and see if that was right. I have the regular Slime in my front tractor tires. I have had a lot less flats since I started using it.

/ 12-ply "impliment tire"... how tough?

Might have been vague. I have a brand new tire now without tube, so was wondering if it was worth putting slime inside or if it was "tough enough" by being 12 ply, to not worry about it.

/ 12-ply "impliment tire"... how tough? #6  

I checked out the site and you're correct about a product for tubed tires. I don't know how they could get it to work on a tubed tire very well. It seems like the tube would move around against the inside face of the tire and prevent it from sealing. Also if there was anything still puncturing the tube, you'd still have a problem.

At least on a tubeless, the slime seals around the thorn, nail etc. When the object finally worked its way out, the slime would then flow out and seal that hole as well.

I probably need to clarify, I've been using the puncture seal in the one gallon jug sold at TSC, it's off-white in color. I believe they also sell the "Slime" brand. (Obviously I fell victim to the marketers and "branding", kind of like Xerox, Kleenex and Coke terminology when describing everyday things.)

/ 12-ply "impliment tire"... how tough? #7  

There are two versions of Slime for tube and tubeless.

/ 12-ply "impliment tire"... how tough? #8  

I believe it was at TSC that I bought the white stuff to use one time. After a while it drys and is like plastic to get off of the wheels. It many have been W-M, but I think it was TSC.
I haven't had any problem with Slime.

/ 12-ply "impliment tire"... how tough? #9  

TSC carries some tubes that come prefilled with slime.. so I guess they've worked some thing out.. new formula?

Soundguy

/ 12-ply "impliment tire"... how tough? #10  

That's not good to hear!! I've never pulled any of my tires since I've been using it except my Case 446 fronts. Those were only filled for 2 years before I put new tires on. It was messy, but cleaned up with rags. Once it dries can you get it off with solvent?