Box Blade meets Rear Tractor Tire - OUCH!

/ Box Blade meets Rear Tractor Tire - OUCH! #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
Was doing some barnyard work for a neighbour and the top link on my Box Blade broke. The weld at the eye gave way when the BB was raised to full height NOT when it was on the ground - I remember someone talking about raising a BB without the top link attached and saying he had to replace both back tires OUCH!!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Well, perhaps I got lucky but we shall see. One scarifiier hit the lug of one rear tire and bounced off but the other tire was hit between the lugs and suffered a serious gash in the rubber. No evidence of fluid or air leakage over the past three days and I was doing more BB work today with no problem.

My question - is there a way to repair or patch over the gash with the tire still on the tractor?

Thanks for any ideas.

Bob

/ Box Blade meets Rear Tractor Tire - OUCH! #2  
Most industrial supply houses have a product called flexane which i an epoxy rubber repair kit. It comes in liquid form and I have used it to repair pump casings and liners. It might work on tires to repair the gashes you have.

/ Box Blade meets Rear Tractor Tire - OUCH! #3  
One option: If there is a forklift company near you, check with them. We put foam in all our lift tires. The ride doesn't seem to be much different, however no more flat tires. Do not know how it would work for a larger tire. Downside...kinda expensive.

/ Box Blade meets Rear Tractor Tire - OUCH! #4  
Not much give in the foam filled tires either. Rides rough.

/ Box Blade meets Rear Tractor Tire - OUCH! #5  
Don't feel bad.. the first time I used my YM1700 and box blade, I didn't have check chains, and the box swung to the side, and contacted the lugged tire.. which lifted it, and bent the adjustable lift arm into a pretzel....

Soundguy

/ Box Blade meets Rear Tractor Tire - OUCH! #6  
WHen dad owned our roll off business we had a driver that was rough as hell on equipment and he bought an old 1066 IHC . Big tractors here are cheap since farming went out. He had a 12 boxblade borrowed from the county and was back blading some loags across his drive way when his too small top link stripped out and the blade rode over backwards and jobbed the rim. I got the scarifier off and the blade loose i took the rim and tire 75 miles away to a farming community and they had a Firestone dealer their that vulcanized a boot in the tire. THe next time i saw the tractor it had the right toplink in it.