Large R1 Rear Tire chains Good Options

/ Large R1 Rear Tire chains Good Options #1  

RedNeckRacin

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 5083E MFWD, Kubota L3400 HST
SO I have been browsing tire chains for my rear tires (16.9-24 R1 ) since I went for a fun ride last year on a steep hill when my rear end passed my front end on a hill even though the bucket was dug in. Anyways, I have v-bar duo's from tirechains.com on the front and I did an at home modification to tighten up the pattern. This didn't do a lot for keeping my rear end planted. SO before this winter hits, I want to get a set for the rears.

I'm somewhat shying away from the duo's since they seemed to only be moderately helpful on the fronts. I ran them tightly which I think was part of the problem, but I came across an inexpensive set of bear paws on the net for a great price but I'm worried they will ride rougher than I can tolerate in the shale driveway. Tearing up the driveway is of little concern. I was asked several times last year to pull some cars out of the ditch on an icy hill next to my field but I declined since I didn't want to go for a ride again.

I guess my question would be how rough are the bear paws? How close do the rings need to be to work well? When are they worn out? Would I be better off going with 2 link v-bar ladder chains? Duo grip ladder with v-bars? Aquiline mpc talons? I'm not too fond of the dual ring chains for some reason. I don't think they would hold well on the side slopes I get into.

Main jobs in the winter will be feeding round bales in the hilly pastures, clearing snow, and retrieving the people (who come for the business) out of the ditches. The R-1's have little wear on them so Chains falling between the lugs are a big factor. IF I had r-4's I already know what I would go with but the r-1's are a little tougher to decide on. I run a set of 2 link v-bars on the r-4's on my Kubota and they work fantastic, but even when the chains drop in between the lugs, the links are still tall enough to stand above them.

Any thoughts? For as expensive as the larger chains on, I壇 really like to buy one set only and not have to modify them.

/ Large R1 Rear Tire chains Good Options #2  
I use V-bar chains - front & rear in the winter if the driveway ( 1 mile long and with deep valley in the middle) gets really icy. I have Goodyear R-1 tires front(9.5-24) & rear(16.9-28). It has to get really treacherous on the driveway before I put the chains on. Its the rears that are a bugger. Very heavy & difficult to get tight. Both of my highway vehicles are 4WD so no problems with the driveway. I have never seen or heard of the other types you mention - the V-bar have always done the job.
I would think that winter running with chains only on the front would be rather dicy. I can see my hiney passing me a lot on steep hills etc. I know the V-bars make the ride CONSIDERABLY rougher than no chains and to counter this rough ride I simply go slower. Actually - since I'm retired - and never have to go anywhere right away - a lot of time I will simply wait until conditions change and the icy driveway can be plowed without chains on the tractor. I really dislike putting those monsters on the rear tires!!

/ Large R1 Rear Tire chains Good Options
I hear you about handling the chains, but being a younger guy, the weight is really only an inconveince for not sliding into a ravine. :thumbsup: The other types I mentioned can be viewed on tirechains.com or by looking at tirechainsrequired.com. The "bear paw" type looks like a set of tires chains with a large ring and 4 cleats per ring running down the center of the tire tread. There are then anywhere from 8-15 rings on the chains depending on tire size and spacing. I was trying to be cheap only running tire chains on the fronts and it certainly was not enough traction for my needs. My main concern with standard ladder style chains would be the chains falling down inbetween the lugs since they are spaced so far apart. Granted i know that all of the cross chains won't do this, but all it takes is a foot or two of circumference for tthis to lineup on an you might as well not even have chains on.

The bear paw (skidder type chains) looks to be super aggressive and would be great in the fields when I gotta feed hay, but if they ride like a square wheel I'm really not that interested. I'm long past the $500-$1000 i'm going to have to spend for the chains, the peace of mind will be well worth it. And since the chains will likely last 10 years, its really not that expensive. I'm just really unsure about which ones perform well since I'm not just concerned with plowing snow.

bear paw 2.jpg These are what I have been refering to as "bear paws"

tirechains.comThese list the brand specific names to tirechains.com and show pictures.

Last edited:
   / Large R1 Rear Tire chains Good Options #5  
Last winter, I was using the Duo-Grip Combination (ladder) and cleaning ice off a 35 Degree slope drive
with my boxblade while going uphill. I like them, even if they are heavy and a bear to put on. found a
way tho. Jack tire up. Tied the chain end on thru the wheel rim opening and then turn the tire.
I don't have any chains for the front. I am not in a position to need them. YET !!!!. :laughing:

Good Luck with your choice.:thumbsup:

Tom

/ Large R1 Rear Tire chains Good Options #6  
I think the bear paw style would do well for you if you don't mind the installation. Ladder style would help, but less than optimum.

Are the bear paws a pretty rough ride when the ground is frozen though? My only other downside to the bear paws would be If I ever have to go down the road for something, Its going to be pretty easy to follow my tracks! Are the aqualine talons pretty good in mud as well?

/ Large R1 Rear Tire chains Good Options #8  
I'd guess the basic chain layout is not rougher than the duo's, but as soon as you add anything for ice (v-bar) it will roughen up. I see big skidders running talons, so probably good in the dirt.

/ Large R1 Rear Tire chains Good Options #9  
Around here what you call bear paws are called Canadian chains or ring chains. They work well as long as they have good corks standing up from the rings. When the corks wear down just weld on new ones 5/8" bolts about 1-1/2 inches long work well six or eight to a ring. Not something you want to ride a long way down a paved road with but you can slow down as has been suggested.
I like these better but they are pricey.

Would it be worth fixing up a set of ring chains or just getting the talons up front? I'm leaning towards the talons since they look like great ice chains.