Re: Tire ballast choice?

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #11  

I noticed your location as Florida, and have to wonder whether you've personally dealt with this subject in a nasty-cold climate; such as.... oh, anywhere but Florida?

Question for you to answer...

do you have to douse yourself with gas then strike a match to know if you will burn?

do you have to chain yourself to 25 cinder blocks and jump off a pier to wonder if you will drown?

do you have to lay your hand flat on the pavement and smack it with a 2# drilling hammer to wonder if there will be pain?

or are these things self evident?

adding something heavier than 'air' to a tire makes them heavier.

adding a freezing point modifier to water lowers it's freeze point.

commercial auto AF mixes contain corrosion inhibitors to prevent/control rusting of metal in contact with treated water.

Which of those do you dispute? Just curious....

And yes.. I have loaded tires for ballast.. and yes I use (now ) antifreeze, not so much for the 2 weeks of winter florida has.. but the af has corrosion inhibitors in it.

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #12  

I have been running beet juice in my tires in this pa winter down to -15 with no issues. Straight windshield washer fluid would be the cheapest option besides getting water and adding antifreeze to it. As long as the fluid is good for the coldest weather you could potentially see, I don't think there will be any issues.

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #13  

Eco friendly anti freeze and water for 12 years now without a problem. Not hard to do yourself with a valve from Napa or many tractor dealers and a cheap drill operated transfer pump. It was 5 degrees here the other morning in N. Georgia and all was good. Do use the Eco friendly stuff, the stuff you use in the car is a painful death for animals that like its sweet flavor.

MarkV

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #14  

Eco friendly anti freeze and water for 12 years now without a problem. Not hard to do yourself with a valve from Napa or many tractor dealers and a cheap drill operated transfer pump. It was 5 degrees here the other morning in N. Georgia and all was good. Do use the Eco friendly stuff, the stuff you use in the car is a painful death for animals that like its sweet flavor.

MarkV

you can ( or could when i last checked ). get pg based af for automotive use.

i know amsoil used to sell it. i believe they still do.

AMSOIL Propylene Glycol Antifreeze and Engine Coolant - ANT

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #15  

My tractor has rimguard from the dealer,it smells like beet juice. I have to keep them inflated at or above 45 lbs. or they will leak around the bead. plowking

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #16  

I'm running a 25% mix of Propylene-glycol/water in mine. Used tractor this winter in -5F temps with no problem.

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #17  

i'd be tubing a tire if it leaked expensive ballast at the bead...

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #18  

Well guys, I'm still stuck on post number 5.

It looks like I'll need about 50-60 gallons per tire. Since we rarely see temps below 10F here I'm wondering if 10 gallons of washer fluid in 50 gallons of water would get the freezing point down to that range.

Just a guess here, but I think that ratio would be too thin for any freeze/slush protection.

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #19  

if that were af i wouldn't worry much.. but ww fluid is a thin mix as it is

Well guys, I'm still stuck on post number 5.

Just a guess here, but I think that ratio would be too thin for any freeze/slush protection.

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #20  

My tractor has rimguard from the dealer,it smells like beet juice. I have to keep them inflated at or above 45 lbs. or they will leak around the bead. plowking

Rim Guard is beet juice. It is made by a company here in Michigan. My rears are loaded with RG too. It's been in them no for 10 years without a single problem. It is nice in that if you ever do get a leak, and your dog or some other pet or livestock animal were to lick it up, it doesn't hurt them. It is heavier by a bit than other mixes/formulations, but it does cost a little more than some of the home remedies. I guess it's all in what is most important to you as to which way you choose to go when loading your tires.