Re: Tire ballast choice?

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #1  

DSM123

Tractor
MF203, MF135, IH2400A backhoe

What is the most economical and readily available tractor tire ballast options? I've read windshield washer fluid but that stuff runs around $2/gallon now. I'm also concerned about wheel rust and tire repair (plug) if/when needed.

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #2  

I'm a firm believer in washer fluid. In the long run it's cheap and won't freeze unless stored in subfreezing temps for long periods
Front and rear.
larryd314

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #3  

My dealer uses anti-freeze/water mixture. Said it has good anti-corrosion properties.

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #4  

My dealer filled my rear tires with ECO-friendly antifreeze and water. He won't sell a tractor with FEL, without ballast in the Rears.

/ Re: Tire ballast choice?

It looks like I'll need about 50-60 gallons per tire. Since we rarely see temps below 10F here I'm wondering if 10 gallons of washer fluid in 50 gallons of water would get the freezing point down to that range.

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #6  

most conomical and readily available?

water...

rust?

put some eco safe antifreeze in there. protects your engine from corrosion and won't freeze as easy.. works EXACTLY the same inside a tire.

tire repair: that's always an issue.

if you have a wet ballasted tire with no tube, then plugs are iffy, no matter what it is ballasted with. cacl, water, beet juice, anti freeze, ww fluid. etc.
many times you can plug them but the damaged area is impregnated with the ballast and the plug then forever weeps...

stick a tube in there and then it's more work. IE. you have to drain the ballast , pop tire half way off rim, patch tire, patch or repalce tube, and then refill tube.

no 100% perfect soloution wither way.

There is a foam load for a tire that is high density and not liquid. but it's spendy, and has it's own issues.

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #7  

It looks like I'll need about 50-60 gallons per tire. Since we rarely see temps below 10F here I'm wondering if 10 gallons of washer fluid in 50 gallons of water would get the freezing point down to that range.

I'm not sure of the dillution formula for Washer Fluid??

I used straight Washer Fluid. Bought it at the local Auto Dealership in 60 gallon barrels. Paid a $20 deposit on each barrel that was returned when I returned the barrels. I paid $210 for 180 gallons. Might check out that option.

As for corrosion. Was in on a conversation here not long ago about corrosion. A Member, can't remember his name, made a valid point. Your wheels are painted on the inside just like they are on the outside. Do you worry about the outside of your wheels corroding prematurely?? They are subject to all kinds of toxic materials. :)

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #8  

I don't think I would dilute washer fluid.

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #9  

I don't think I would dilute washer fluid.

will weight more if you do dilute with water.... and as long as you keep the proper alcohol to water mix. it's still got some freeze protection.

on tires it's not like an engine block. only need 'proof vs solid' protection. slushy is just fine in a tire.. :)

/ Re: Tire ballast choice? #10  

will weight more if you do dilute with water.... and as long as you keep the proper alcohol to water mix. it's still got some freeze protection.

on tires it's not like an engine block. only need 'proof vs solid' protection. slushy is just fine in a tire.. :)

Thanks! I was thinking along the same lines, but I needed to hear this from somebody else to validate it as truth, LOL

I noticed your location as Florida, and have to wonder whether you've personally dealt with this subject in a nasty-cold climate; such as.... oh, anywhere but Florida?