Tire changing lubricants

/ Tire changing lubricants #11  
if you are worried about bare steel and a water dropplet or 2, add in a tablespoon of antifreeze.. it has corrosion resistance.

PS. you do know that on heat / cooling cycles, the NON dried air in your tires DOES condense water to the walls and rim.. :)

/ Tire changing lubricants
David Brown 20141.JPGDavid Brown 20142.JPGwinter 20143.JPG

Here is a picture of the David Brown 12-28 Rim, tire changer used in the battle to break the 44 year old bead and a bonus, Just one of my 4 snow piles made this winter.
I am going to try the Ruglyde tire Lube as it has answered my question and will be used more than for just this tire.
The rim has been cleaned up and primed with heavy rust primer on the inside and white primer outside. I use Case Power White paint for the outside of the rim and my tractor hood/fenders as it matches the original DB color.

Getting the bead to slide off takes about 15 minutes per side. That consists of sliding the bead breaker under the rim edge which went easily. Then Lube and start a rocking action on the bar in 3 or 4 spots. Soon I saw a 1/8" gap and with lube at that point you can feel all getting easier.

The snow pile was made with the BX2200 bucket. A "Show me your Snow pile" thread for this year might be interesting.

The HF tire changer will be rebuilt this summer. The Bead breaker part bends easily and can be pulled back into position by hand. That's how soft the metal is. The base has been bent also. The Red breaker bar got bent on a regular car tire but if I had Lubed better it would not have. I can reinforce this changer, use better pipe for the bar and make it stronger but, why not make it solid the first time?

Thanks to everyone for the input I'll put the tire installation process on my "Enjoying my David Brown 780" Thread. But It will have to be during warmer weather.

/ Tire changing lubricants #13  
if you are worried about bare steel and a water dropplet or 2, add in a tablespoon of antifreeze.. it has corrosion resistance.

PS. you do know that on heat / cooling cycles, the NON dried air in your tires DOES condense water to the walls and rim.. :)
Informative. Thanks for posting.

/ Tire changing lubricants #14  
Was just looking over the RuGLYDE ingredient list...1- 5% Ethylene Glycol

Will not induce rust

Also says a use as lubricant for rubber bushings, shock absorbers mounts and stabilizers linkages, cleans tires leather and vinyl. Unless your changing tires on regular basis $15 jug should last a long, long, time round the shop.

/ Tire changing lubricants #15  
I've used soap and water but stopped because it left water inside the tire and would cause the steel wheel to rust if there was any bare steel. Now I use silicon spray (if I have any on hand) or WD-40. Silicon spray tends to dry out very quickly though. I've used WD-40 for decades on tires without any ill effects and always have a can or two around somewhere.

Just passing along what the tire shop manager where I use to work taught everyone. It was a no no to use wd-40 there. He said it could damage the tire. He had only changed a few in his 25 + years there.

/ Tire changing lubricants #16  
A buddy of mine is an aircraft tech. They told him at one of the classes for changing tires on the Boeing 737 he maintains, to never use dish soap. Corrodes metal rims, and will break down the rubber compound due to the grease cutters.

Been using RuGlyde here for years. Still a partial jug in Pop's shop, and I know it was bought back in the 80's. Got a new jug myself in the mid- 90's, and still half of it left. A good dash on a shop rag goes a long way.

/ Tire changing lubricants #17  
i'd have to take a haiiry eye ball look at that advice.

maybee some soaps with lemon oil or other acids.. but then.. soaks are an alkali base...

hmm.. I'd have to think that advice was limited to a very very few products.

glycerine based soaps should be TOTALLY safe .. eg/pg are VERY similar to glycerine.. pg is used in place of glycerine in some foodstuffs..

A buddy of mine is an aircraft tech. They told him at one of the classes for changing tires on the Boeing 737 he maintains, to never use dish soap. Corrodes metal rims, and will break down the rubber compound due to the grease cutters.

Been using RuGlyde here for years. Still a partial jug in Pop's shop, and I know it was bought back in the 80's. Got a new jug myself in the mid- 90's, and still half of it left. A good dash on a shop rag goes a long way.

/ Tire changing lubricants #18  
I'll remember that when I fly my lawnmower down from 40,000 ft.

/ Tire changing lubricants #19  
If you read a can of WD-40 it says it's safe for use on rubber. I've never had an issue using WD-40 to mount tires, results could be different of others.

/ Tire changing lubricants #20  
If you read a can of WD-40 it says it's safe for use on rubber. I've never had an issue using WD-40 to mount tires, results could be different of others.

Ditto. Just changed a set of UTV tires using WD40. Works well and doesn't cost much.