Tire changing lubricants

/ Tire changing lubricants #1  

DB Pilot

Gold Member
Tractor
Case Farmall 65A, L3800 Kubota, BX2200 Kubota
I have decided to change my own tractor tire, it is a 13.6 -28 Ag tire on my David Brown 780. :eek: I have taken the old tire off the rim, :thumbsup: Cleaned up the rim and some primer paint. I broke the beads with a HF tire changer set on maximum size and silicone spray to lube the Tire/Tube that has been on the rim since 1970. I'll get pictures later today hopefully. I will also use a remote tire inflater to set the bead.

At first thought I would use regular dish soap (like I use to find leaks) to lubricate the tire for installing on the rim but, now I see the gallon jugs of Tire Lubricants. So I'm asking what others are using? A neighbor told me he uses Tri-**** from Wally World That he thinks is also good for keeping the rubber pliable. Just in case I should have to dismount the tire again I would like to be sure I'm using something that will make that easier.

Lastly about the HF tire changer. You can bend EVERY part of that unit real easy if you force it (very cheap China steel). :muttering: But if you just work easy and use plenty of lubricant the bead will slowly move. It might take awhile but it will work. :cool2:

/ Tire changing lubricants #2  
I have a jug of RuGLYDE from NAPA. We just use dishsoap down at the motorcycle shop.

/ Tire changing lubricants #3  
Liberal amounts of DISH SOAP under and over the bead, and if there is a TUBE, BABY POWDER. Same as DFB...motorcycles for 45 years now, and no need for anything else.

/ Tire changing lubricants #4  
I have decided to change my own tractor tire, it is a 13.6 -28 Ag tire on my David Brown 780. :eek: I have taken the old tire off the rim, :thumbsup: Cleaned up the rim and some primer paint. I broke the beads with a HF tire changer set on maximum size and silicone spray to lube the Tire/Tube that has been on the rim since 1970. I'll get pictures later today hopefully. I will also use a remote tire inflater to set the bead.

At first thought I would use regular dish soap (like I use to find leaks) to lubricate the tire for installing on the rim but, now I see the gallon jugs of Tire Lubricants. So I'm asking what others are using? A neighbor told me he uses Tri-**** from Wally World That he thinks is also good for keeping the rubber pliable. Just in case I should have to dismount the tire again I would like to be sure I'm using something that will make that easier.

Lastly about the HF tire changer. You can bend EVERY part of that unit real easy if you force it (very cheap China steel). :muttering: But if you just work easy and use plenty of lubricant the bead will slowly move. It might take awhile but it will work. :cool2:

I used dish soap to change out my tractor tires and put them back on. Tire irons I used were two 30" spoon type from Northern Supply (9 bucks apiece). They did not bend. First painted rim with Chassis Guard then sprayed with epoxy paint over that then duct taped the middle of the rim. Mounted tire while rim was on tractor. Used a couple of vice grips to keep the parts of the tire I rolled onto the rim to stay on the rim as I was using tubes. Then filled with calcium. . Whole job with tires and all the rest of the crap to do the job (Tubes, pump for calcium, tire spoons, stem fisher, Two 20 gallon tubs for calcium, Chassis Guard, epoxy paint,) came to $900. I then traded the tractor in.

/ Tire changing lubricants #5  
I have a jug of RuGLYDE from NAPA. We just use dishsoap down at the motorcycle shop.

that works... I use iut. you can get tubs of tire grease. a thick soap.

vegi or dish soap work fine too.

/ Tire changing lubricants #6  
I just chopped the same tire off. Sprayed it down with gas leak detector soap. Another one I use is "great hand cleaner" hand cleaner. The best hand cleaner known to man.

/ Tire changing lubricants #7  
The tire lube pastes work very good but can be expensive so I use concentrated liquid bead butter and dilute it with water.

/ Tire changing lubricants #8  
The tire lube pastes work very good but can be expensive so I use concentrated liquid bead butter and dilute it with water.

Both of these work well as does the dish soap. The key is to not use something (oil,wd-40) that will cause the rubber to break down and get hard.

The paste are nice also if you have a bead that doesn't want to seat or is leaking. Pack the leak with the paste (takes a lot) then continue to inflate it holds enough air to get the tire to seal. Then wipe off extra paste put back in bucket and good to go next time. Also some paste can be used to make a liquid soap so no need to have multiple kinds laying around.

/ Tire changing lubricants #9  
ditto this. at work we have a pail of tire grease soap. thick like lard. but will water down.

use a putty knife / trowell to apply or remove. :)

most of my stuff at home is tubed so I just use the napa ruglyde mentioned earlier. mix it down with water in an old dish soap squirt bottle.

Both of these work well as does the dish soap. The key is to not use something (oil,wd-40) that will cause the rubber to break down and get hard.

The paste are nice also if you have a bead that doesn't want to seat or is leaking. Pack the leak with the paste (takes a lot) then continue to inflate it holds enough air to get the tire to seal. Then wipe off extra paste put back in bucket and good to go next time. Also some paste can be used to make a liquid soap so no need to have multiple kinds laying around.

/ Tire changing lubricants #10  
I've used soap and water but stopped because it left water inside the tire and would cause the steel wheel to rust if there was any bare steel. Now I use silicon spray (if I have any on hand) or WD-40. Silicon spray tends to dry out very quickly though. I've used WD-40 for decades on tires without any ill effects and always have a can or two around somewhere.