Front tire slipped off rim

/ Front tire slipped off rim #1  

RWTschoeke

Tractor
2010 New Holland Boomer 3045
IMG_0225.jpgLast month during one of our cold snaps, I took my Boomer 3045 out of the shed to clear some snow and unfortunately in my attempt to get the left front tire back on the driveway, the tire slipped off the rim. Once recognized, I drove the tractor back into the shed slowly, jacked it up and removed the rim and tire. The tire is a Titan 10-16.5 NHS 6PR Trac Loader R4 (tubeless). I brought it to the local tire shop to see if they could put it back on, but they determined that the bead was too damaged to hold a seal and suggested brand new tire. Asking all of you if other options exist. Dealer cost of new tire is $300 on the Titan site. Would placing a tube be an option or are there lower cost tire options.

/ Front tire slipped off rim #2  
Hard to tell for sure how bad it is by the photo.
But I would try a tube. Looks like it would be fine with a tube.
Worth a try.
I put a 1" cut in the sidewall of one of my front R-4 tires. Installed a tube several years ago. It is holding up fine.

/ Front tire slipped off rim #4  
For the price of a tube compared to the price of a new tire, I would try the tube first.

/ Front tire slipped off rim #5  
If the tread is still pretty new, fill it with foam. I did my fronts and love the extra weight too.

Last edited:
   / Front tire slipped off rim #6  
It probably got low on pressure. Mine has popped off when I didn't watch it.
Pan

/ Front tire slipped off rim #7  
Take your tire to a dealer that foams tires. If he can do it when you get your tire back it will be literally "bullet" proof. Foaming tires is a little costly, but once you do it your done with the problem for good.
One thing about r-4s in cold weather, they easily come off the rim. Reason unknown, so you really should check your air pressure weekly.
I priced a new tire for our skidsteer, a bigger sized tire and heavier ply than your tire and the dealer came in at $150 for a new tire mounted. Ide shop around . . . .John

/ Front tire slipped off rim #8  
I'd gently feel around any inside areas that make you wonder for anything sharp or protruding and put in a tube as suggested. Sometimes the tough part is getting the valve stem into the hole and stuffing the rest of the tube in while fighting both beads in the mounting groove, if that's where the stem lines up. If there's talcum powder on the tube, sprinkle a bit extra into the tire and shake it around first.

R-4s are heavy walled tires and don't show low pressure sag like R-1s or turfs, and IMO they need to be monitored the most frequently. If you get lucky and can air one back up right where it slips off you can easily get grit or gravel under the bead, and that wouldn't help to seal it. It might not take much. Redo pronto at the shop, just in case. (ask me how I know .. :duh:)

btw: Foam may be a one shot deal. Don't know what happens when a tire is toast anyway. New rim too? :confused: I like the adjustability of air, not the constant checking/topping but a fair trade for me. All my mower, small trailer, etc tires wear tubes because they seem to stay on better at the low pressures (7-12 lbs) that work best for 'em. :2cents:

/ Front tire slipped off rim #9  
It is hard to tell by the picture. I would take it to another tire shop for a second opinion.

/ Front tire slipped off rim #10  
I think I would just put it back on the rim. I blew the photo up and except for the end of the one cut that has protruded into the rim area by a small amount it looks like it would still work. I would try it any way.