Tire Chains

/ Tire Chains #1  

George2615

Tractor
LS XR3037HC
I'm looking for a set of chains for my rear tires for snow plowing. Tire size is 43x16-20 R4's. Tirechains.com has a V-bar for about $330 with shipping. Ladder style with 3/8" cross link are about $50 less. On my previous tractor I had Road Boss ladder style with 3/8" cross links and they seemed to work well. Any pro's or cons comparing V-bar to standard ladder chains? I already have V-bar chains for the front. Just need to get the rears.

/ Tire Chains #2  
Chains are better than no chains. V-bars are better than regular ladder chains. Are they 4 link or 2 link? V-bar's will scratch the **** out of any asphalt that you have but they will hold better on a side slope. There are tons of posts comparing chains. Try a little search.

/ Tire Chains #3  
Vbars are awesome. I have them for the front tires on my truck and all 4 on my atv. That said, I've never used them on either of my tractors- just seem like overkill. Like RNR said, any chains are better than no chains. If you have ag (or even industrial) then I highly recommend getting the "H" pattern (I think it is called duogrip). I think you get much better traction without the chains falling in between lugs. Now cue a million people screamin "just put 'em on loose". Better traction + not having chains flapping = H pattern for me.

/ Tire Chains
Thanks for the replies. I just bought a set of Peerless chains today. I was searching online and found my local TSC store was having a clearance sale on a couple different size chain sets. The set I bought is actually for a larger diameter tire but I couldn't pass up the clearance price. They are 4 link ladder chains (same as I used on previous tractor) with 3/8" twisted cross links. Just installed them on the tractor and cut off the excess length. Now I have a few spare cross links should any wear out. Regular price was $189.99 each. On clearance for $79.99 each. Got both for under $175 including sales tax.
Now that I bought and installed them we won't get any more snow this year.

Last edited:
   / Tire Chains #5  
I had V-bar chains - front & rear - for my previous tractor, Ford 1710. The rears were so d--n heavy & hard to instal that I've never even considered them for my new tractor. However, the V-bars did provide supreme traction and made the tractor shake like it was doing the St. Vitas dance. Now that I've regraveled and recontoured my mile long driveway there is no need for chains.

----- and the day came when they fought like warrior-poets and won their FREEDOM -----

/ Tire Chains #6  
I've got V-bars on my 2 wheel drive John Deere. The chute leading to the pasture is a pretty steep grade and coming back up it on ice - I'd have never made it without them. They weigh 100 lbs each and were not too hard to put on. They really make a difference. $500 new and shipping was $75 but I could still get around this year.