Tire chains, front, rear or all the way around?

/ Tire chains, front, rear or all the way around? #1  

nh1520

Tractor
New Holland 1520
I have the ag tires on my New Holland 1520 front and rear. I have the heavy duty rear chains for the rear and have used them when my gravel driveway gets icy. They aren't the easiest to mount and the tractor rides like a bull calf with them on. I picked up a set of 4 link passenger car tire chains this summer and cut them down to fit my fronts. Most of my sliding around comes from the front. I hoped the front chains would provide that little extra traction and improve the steering ability. Even with the rears loaded with windshield washer fluid, I'm always in 4wd when plowing and using the FEL.

Should I run the front chains (I can get them very tight) and leave the rears off without any problems or should I run the rears and let the front end slide? I'm half afraid to run them all the way around for fear of tearing up something. Thanks for the advice and the experiences. We just got done cleaning up a nice 12" heavy, wet snow here in north central PA.

/ Tire chains, front, rear or all the way around? #2  
On my prior 55 hp tractor, I run heavy square pattern chains on the rear and set of truck latter chains on the front. Great traction and steering control. On my new 65 hp, I have a set of double links on front. Just came in from plowing. 19 inches at the stake. With chains front and rear, I could have easly handled an 8 - 9 foot bucket (78 inch one on loader).

Bob

/ Tire chains, front, rear or all the way around? #3  
I have the same problem..sliding while trying to turn with my blower down. I have to raise the blower a little to get weight on the fronts and then it turns fine. The only trouble I can see with front chains is clearance between the tire and axle assembly.

/ Tire chains, front, rear or all the way around?
I figured a trial run couldn't hurt - so I slapped them on and headed off down in the woods to plow our walking trails. Sure makes it nice using the FEL to raise the front end for putting the chains on.

BIG difference with the steering control - hardly any sliding around. I have my Woods 60" back blade angled with a wing I made on one side to funnel the snow. I was pushing a full load all over the place with all the recent snow we've gotten. I think I'm going to put the rears on next and really get it stuck LOL.

Clearance IS tight with the casting on the front wheels - when I got the chains I cut the cross chain width down two links [time consuming project] so they ride up on the tire higher. I also cut a cross chain and four links off the length - which I found was too short so I had to add them back on [thank goodness for add-a-links]. I have a couple rubber straps X'd on the outside for some tension - so far so good. Doesn't ride bad either. Thanks for the replies.

/ Tire chains, front, rear or all the way around? #5  
I found out today after using my DK35 in snow for the first time,I have the 2 link chains on the back but nothing on the front.I got stuck going up an incline when the front tires(R-4's) slid side ways.I don't care what anyone say's I'm going to be puting chains on the front.Can't imagine what's going to happen when I get ice to deal with.

/ Tire chains, front, rear or all the way around? #6  
I've been saying right along and several here either don't believe it or wonder what I'm on, all contractors and municipalities in this neighborhood including yours up around the Shelborne area always run chains on the front of 4 X 4 machinery. I have never once seen chains on rear tires in the above two mentioned groups. I ran 11 hours a 710 hoe w/ chains front today, in fact I will be returning at 1 AM in a few hours. It helps you to steer and more importantly, pull your way into, in order to make higher piles jsut back from intersections and things. I have to re-state this is for large road, parking lot opening which is critical. I have a 1600 ft driveway with twists and turns and some major elevation changes and no chains. I did mount my old Jeep plow which has cut my time down drastically.

/ Tire chains, front, rear or all the way around? #7  
I ran rear chains last winter for use while plowing with my FEL. The traction was great enough that I could lift the front wheels off the ground while pushing large amounts of show. When the fronts go light or even lift off the road was a good time to stop pushing. No steering. The only time I ever had a traction problem was when I was plowing downhill and dropped a front tire in a gulley. Backing out was difficult since much of the tractors weight was at the front. I did eventually popped my myself back onto the roadway.

This past weekend, I was caught unprepared for the snow: I still had my MMM attached and no chains. Well no chains was a different experience. I did a whole more sliding, but I was still able to push a decent amount of snow. Again, backing up inclines prove tp be the most challenging, especially when the fronts & rears seemed to take turns grabbing; kind of a bouncy ride.

I will put chains of the fronts only for the next couple of storms and see how this set-up will fair.

As far as the push/pull debate for a 4x4, I don't think it matters much in my case since I spend just as much time backing up as I do going forward. My time backing up is usually up hill which puts a large load on the 4wd system since the fronts are doing the work.

/ Tire chains, front, rear or all the way around? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="red"> I've been saying right along and several here either don't believe it or wonder what I'm on, all contractors and municipalities in this neighborhood including yours up around the Shelborne area always run chains on the front of 4 X 4 machinery </font> )</font>

You will get more traction with chains on the front of a 4x4 alone then on the rear alone. I have ran chains on the front of my Chevy pick up 4x4 and my mailman use to run them on the front of his Ford F-150 4x4.A front wheel drive will give you more traction than a rear wheel drive and chains on the front tires enhance this advantage.One winter we had snow bumper deep and I had all season radials on my truck and I could not get out of my long driveway,I had to intall tire chains on the front and I plowed right on through.

/ Tire chains, front, rear or all the way around? #9  
I've got chains on the back of my Honda 4x4 quad.
The dealer told me not to put them on front as it will "bind" the axel.
I understand a "quad" is not a "compact" but now I'm curious.
I guess from everyones positive experience on compacts and pu's it must be ok.
I have another post about rear chains but fronts may be the way to go.
I was pretty much settled on rears but now ???
GrayBeard

/ Tire chains, front, rear or all the way around? #10  
I have tried none and rear only with unsatisfactory results in deep snow or on icey slopes. I currently run with chains both in front and rear and have been very pleased with the result.
Bill