Which Tire ? R-1, R-2, R-3 or R-4 ?

/ Which Tire ? R-1, R-2, R-3 or R-4 ? #1  

millertire

Advertiser
Tractor
John Deere LX 280 All Wheel Steer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the best tread type for your tractor? It depends on how you use your tractor.

R-1 Regular Ag lug for general farming on most North American soils.

R-1W Deeper tread for wet or moist soils. (25% deeper than R-1 but not as deep as R-2)

R-2 Rice & Cane Extra deep tread (twice the depth as R-1) for wet muck, rice & cane farming.

R-3 Turf tread for mowing, golf courses, etc.

R-4 Industrial lug for backhoe tractors. Wider lugs for longer wear on hard surfaces.

When compact tractors come with R-1 Ag tires, they have one size tires & wheels. With R-3 turf tires, they have a different size set of tires and wheels. With R-4 industrial tires, they have a 3rd size set of tires & wheels.

Choose the tread type for the job you use the tractor 80%-90% of the time. Example, if you have a compact tractor with a loader and backhoe, you will want R-4 tires unless you are a landscaper. Then you may want R-3 so that you don稚 tear up the turf.

It is cheaper to buy a tractor with the type of tires you need rather than switching afterward.

If you have a tractor that you need to change tread types, call us at 800-621-1955.

We can help you,

Ed Miller
m. e. MILLER tire

/ Which Tire ? R-1, R-2, R-3 or R-4 ? #2  
I would appreciate your input on my situation.

I plan on buying a Kubota B2320 to cleanup and maintain areas of my farm that I cannot access with my utility tractor.

Most of my work will be in using a rotary cutter to mow saplings, brambles, etc. between pine plantation rows and in other wooded areas.

I will not be using the tractor with a loader or tillage equipment.

Would R4s be the best option?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Steve

/ Which Tire ? R-1, R-2, R-3 or R-4 ? #4  
r4's are fat wide tires. that stink on snow and in mud. they slide and slip. just to much flotation.

R1's look like a pizza tire compared to R4's
R1's will more likely cut through the mud and grab traction. without floating on top of the mud. other words they will make ruts, but you should keep on going... with that, R1's are not really wanted for tractors that will mow the lawn directly around your home. but when it comes to out in the pasture and fields, etc... R1's will more likely be a better choice.

granted chains on tires, air pressure, and how you have tractor ballasted (weight adjusted) weight on front or a FEL (Front end loader), liquid in rear tires or not. and what equipment / attachment, you will be using makes a difference! 4x4 or MFWD vs 2wheel drive, and operator experience always makes a difference.

p.s. 3pt bush hog on rear of tractor. those babies can be rather heavy. it is the weight PLUS how far they stick out behind the tractor ((think tetter totter)). having a FEL (front end loader) or front weights on, can make a difference when ya gotta lift the bush hog, and going up and down hills / ditches. and keep from doing a wheelie.