Valve Stems

/ Valve Stems #1  

Scare Crow

Tractor
John Deere 950
Tractor beginner question here: why are my valve stems on the inside of my rims and also the same on a lot of the pictures seen on this site? Is this just because the wheels can be reversed, or maybe to help keep them out of brush, etc. I'll be working on my tires and rims and would really like to have them facing out when I'm done if it's not a really bad idea.

-Mike-

/ Valve Stems #2  
Being on the inside keeps them away from branches and rocks that easy could damage them. It is a little harder to air them up on the inside, but you really are much better off.

/ Valve Stems #3  
Strange thing, while at my friend's garage the other week, I noticed a truck he had up on the hoist had valve stems on both the inside and outside. It wouldn't have been very hard to access the inside stems so I didn't think the owner had the extra outside ones installed but who knows for sure?

/ Valve Stems #4  
The real fun is dual wheel trucks, they usually have the valve stems facing out on both tires. However, the inner stem can be maddening to get to.

/ Valve Stems #5  
I turned my rims so the valve stems were inward on the rear tires. I did it for the width but that only changed the width about an inch.

I was pulling a box blade doing some clearing on an old lawn with grass, dirt and light brush. The brush pushed forward in from of the box blade as I was pulling it, and it a couple sticks got tangled between the wheel and the drive axle. That broke a valve stem off. It is hard to take watching a stream of RimGard shooting about 50 feet. That happened twice so I turned the wheels back around and put the stems on the outside.

No problems after that. Light sticks will just blow past the stem instead of jamming against the wheel .
Put them on the outside and be careful.

/ Valve Stems #6  
Your question was "why" and I think you answered yourself. "Width". Mine are on the inside because I needed the extra width. The front stems are a pain to get because of the front drive hubs are so fat that the stems are buried no matter where I rotate the tire. bjr

/ Valve Stems
Thanks for all your replies.............this is a grate site with lots of helpful people and I continue to learn about my tractor and tractors in general!

/ Valve Stems #8  
2 things. I have seen on semis a valve stem extender that brings the inner tire stem through the outside wheel.

Also, IMO, if you suffer from valve stem damage, you should weld on a protective cover (usually a 1" peice of pipe) over the valve stem hole. Can't tell you how many valve stems and tubes I went through before I got this little kernel of love.

Oh, do not weld on your tire if it is still mounted. Remove the tire or at least pull the bead. Bad bad things can happen welding on a mounted tire.