Tire Selection Should i use wider tires ?

/ Should i use wider tires ? #1  

razafas

Tractor
UTB u445/m650
I have an 65 hp, 2WD, 7385 lbs tractor equipped with 14.4R38 tires that i used mostly for pulling and plowing.
For the most part i am ok with it but i get in a lot of trouble on wet terrain, and since i can't afford a new tractor in the near future, i was thinking for a cheap fix by replacing the tires with 18.4R38 ones and possibly adding some weights to it.
I am looking for around 20% increase in pulling power.

What do you guys think ?
Have other ideas?

/ Should i use wider tires ? #2  
If you can use or find the rims, it should work. The other option would be to mount duals.

/ Should i use wider tires ? #3  
You can add water and antifreeze to the tires you have now and help you get more weight to the ground

/ Should i use wider tires ? #4  
You can add water and antifreeze to the tires you have now and help you get more weight to the ground

Don't add water alone to your tire if the ground freezes during the year. Around here we use beet juice (non toxic in case of spillage) or calcium chloride salt mix.

/ Should i use wider tires ? #5  
I am a big fan of tire weight, but I do not believe more weight would help in wet areas. I think more floatation is needed.

/ Should i use wider tires ? #6  
18.4x38's are too much tire for a 7300 lb tractor. Additionally, 18.4's will significantly alter the final drive ratios possibly causing operational issues related to ground speeds that are too fast. Lower your tire pressure to increase the contact patch.

/ Should i use wider tires ? #7  
Wider tires less ground compaction and less traction in mud. Narrow tires more ground compaction and better traction in mud.

Note the mentioned gear ratio changes.

/ Should i use wider tires ? #8  
The ground speed should change little to any going to a 18.4x38 since he already has 14.9x38 tires. They may be a bit larger but I don't think it will change the ground speed enough to notice. Dual 14.9's would put a lot more strain on the axles than a singe 18.4 would. The single tire would be much better in mud also unless you have very long axles so you can space the duals at least 12" apart so mud can shed otherwise they will slick over and give no traction in mud.

You will need to replace the rims also for the wider tire. I don't think they would work on a 14.9 rim.

/ Should i use wider tires ?
Thanks for the replies !
I have been searching for tires and rims and found a SH. set (rims+tires at 18.4 r38) for under 600 dollars
wile searching for them i saw some tractors (universal m650) with 16.9 r38 with weights attached; this seams as a better option since the added weight needed to make the 18.4r38 tires wark at their full potential would put to much strain on the tractor and increase fuel consumption.

/ Should i use wider tires ?
on the other hand adding fluid instead of weights should not add as much strain on the engine and thus afford the 18.4r38 instead of the 16.9r38 ones ... ?