Draining water filled tires....rust?

/ Draining water filled tires....rust? #1  

kyles974

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320 with 200cx FEL...RM550 Woods Finish Mower...GradeMaster Grader....Ratchet Rake
I know filling tires questions there are 101+ threads here. I've read many over last couple years.
But can't find info on draining. (Please read before answering "6 o'clock")

This is my dilemma:
Live in Florida and have a high water table. Really high most of the times.
I use my jd 2320 on 2.5 arcers. With FEL ....I use alot. Most of the time a bucket of dirt here and there.
Made a ballistic out of a 50 gal drum filled with concrete. (If I remember it's around 350 lbs....wished I'd made it heavier....I cut off some of the top....thinking filled would be to heavy. Don't ask why I thougjt this....lol...)
Anyhow. ..this work great for me for 95% of the time.

But...with drought....want to dig out a shallow pond I have. Need more weight. Already bought the adapter to fill tires and made a shut off valve at the tire. (So I don't have to keep walking back to turn water on/off while bleeding air)

Anyhow. ...I am very nervous about filling the tires. My yard gets soft alot.....because of the high water table. What I'm afraid of is with tires filled....I may cause to many ruts.

So.....if I fill tires and decide I don't like it because of ruts or rougher ride (have suspension seat for extreme bad back and still not enough for my back at times)
But if I drain water at the 6:00 position. .....then find a small hose to siphon most of remainder water....do I or should I worry about what I don't get out? Will ....I'd guess a 1/2 cup or so of water that would still remain cause rim to rust??

If yes, anyone have suggestions on what I should do?

/ Draining water filled tires....rust? #2  
I would not worry about a cupful or so that you can't get out. You could add a little antifreeze or beet juice (rimguard) to the water. Antifreeze and Rimguard have anti corrosion additives.

/ Draining water filled tires....rust? #3  
TractorData.com John Deere 2320 tractor information

i like tubes for just this reason, i use the 12v sprayer pump, hook up the suction end to the tire valve stem, and just suck the tube dry. though most of the time only reason to drain, is to fix a leak. in that case generally leaves some fluid in the tube, and i have to wait till after i pop beads, and get a bead over edge first. before getting rest of the fluid out.

if your going to dig out a small pond your going to be making ruts. "no way getting around it" keep on the same path "some wiggle room on both sides as ya drive through ruts" do not drive over a wide area going every what way you feel like. keep to a dedicated path. that way when ya get done, you only have to mess with a certain specific path to redo the grass and get rid of the ruts. vs redoing ever inch of the entire yard.

i would say pop the beads on the tire, and pull one bead off the side of a rim. and get rest of the water out. if you are going to run them dry for a good length of time.
if you have issue re-setting the beads, it looks like the tire in photos is just slight bigger maybe same size as a truck tire in diameter, you might be able to take down to any local tire changing place / auto repair place. and have them re-set the beads and re-inflate it for you.

or pickup some tubes, and install them. if you don't want to pay someone to reset the beads of the tire for you.

-----------------
if ya going to pop the beads, and pull tire part way off the rim. having the right tools for job makes job much easier, more so the more specialized tire pry bars (a set of them)

/ Draining water filled tires....rust? #4  
dump in a few ounces of eco safe non toxic PG based antifreeze into the tires after you drain them. it will have anti corrosion addatives. then that cup of water rolling around won't be an issue.

/ Draining water filled tires....rust?
Oh good! (Sometimes I swear I insult my own intelligence by thinking to hard....lol)
Thanks for the reply fellows.

Oh....and to Boggen.....I tried to explain myself/situation clear but failed to say ....what I mean by ruts is not from digging but mainly after I do the "heavy" digging and just using tractor around the house with so much more added weight I'm afraid it will cause ruts or "tire dibbets" trails because my yard is sometimes soft. Every year there a few days I don't drive around back because of this now before added weight with filled tired.

Thanks again!
I feel so much at ease.....and it may not ever be an issue....I may keep tires filled. We'll see! ;)

/ Draining water filled tires....rust? #6  
I don't mean to take over the op's thread but What if those tires were filled with calcium? Would that rust out the rim?

/ Draining water filled tires....rust? #7  
Calcium can cause rust. I know this, sadly. And filled rear tires would likely leave ruts on soft ground. Put another 500 lbs on the back of your tractor, and see what happens.

/ Draining water filled tires....rust? #8  
I don't mean to take over the op's thread but What if those tires were filled with calcium? Would that rust out the rim?

can. if they were tubed tires and not leaking that would be better. but even non tubed, the rust on the inside is usually minimal if the water level is kept up... though eventually after decades you will get rust at the stems and beads.

you could wash the rims out with water, then put some of that non toxic pg antifreeze in them to help with that rust. it has corrosion inhibitors.

/ Draining water filled tires....rust?

All good with me (OP) ....lol
I learned what I needed to learn. ;)

/ Draining water filled tires....rust? #10  
Plain water will rust your rims. I just went thru a laborious task of sanding/grinding out a large front rim on the 5420 MFWD. I painted it with rusty metal primer and some enamel yellow paint and let it dry in the sun for a week before mounting the tire. Then, I saw on ebay someone selling new ones painted silver for NH for a bargain price of less than $200. I saved some money but I wore out my back and my 4.5" grinder a bit.