Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard)

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
Asked a question yesterday about buying new tires for my Massey 135 and loading them with windshield washer fluid and this stuff Beet Juice comes up. Is it available everywhere, at all tire shops? And how much does it cost per gallon. If I can't get it, is the windshield washer fluid my only other option? Thanks again. RRM

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #2  
Prices seem to be all over the board, but I think about $3 a gallon is what I hear most. "Rimguard" is a brand name and I see very few distributers when I search. There is at least one other, lesser known company that makes something similar but I can't remember the name and I think it was only available in the Northwest. Another option is calcium chloride which is much cheaper but potentially damaging to your rims. You will hear a lot of varying responses as to the pros and cons. Beatjuice is heavier than both water and calcium chloride water, so with big enough tires it may make a difference.

Rv antifreeze, or propylene-glycol antifreeze is another option.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #3  
Check here for the info you are asking about.
windshield washer fluid is a good to load your tires
Also you can mix regular anti-freeze and water (anti-freeze is highly toxic and it will contaminate soil and pollute ground water. It will poison animals. And it requires special disposal )

Rim Guard - Liquid Tire Ballast

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #4  
Use propylene glycol (anti freeze for RVs, travel trailers, etc, non-toxic), not ethylene glycol (anti freeze for cars, very toxic)

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #5  
Check here for the info you are asking about.
windshield washer fluid is a good to load your tires
Also you can mix regular anti-freeze and water (anti-freeze is highly toxic and it will contaminate soil and pollute ground water. It will poison animals. And it requires special disposal )

Rim Guard - Liquid Tire Ballast

Beet juice weighs more. Multiply the weight of water or antifreeze by 1.3 to get the weight of same volume of beet juice. Antifreeze is actually a bit lighter than water but not significantly so. Calcium chloride is also about 1.3 times the weight of water. Beet juice costs a litf le more but it is a good setup for many of us.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #6  
Just had my Max 28 rears done, cost $200, removed, transported, filled and back on.

No idea of cost per gal, I had the dealer do it.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #7  
Rimguard installed by the local Kubota dealer here is $1.50/gallon. In the descending order of preferences - Rimguard, RV antifreeze, windshield washer solution, automotive antifreeze. I would not recommend calcium chloride. I've had too much problems with it and tire valve stems over the years.

I have used Rimguard in my M6040 for five years without a moments problems. Rimguard can save hours of futzing with the rear tires and the extra expense will soon be forgotten.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #8  
I live in SC TN. According to Rimguard, the closest place to me that sells it is just north of the KY/TN border. They specifically told me that they can't compete with "free".

Since you don't show your location (dumb, IMO, but whatever), take it FWIW.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #9  
I bought a tractor with chloride in the rear tires. It had a small leak, just enough to cause a small wet spot. Within a few weeks, the whole area around the valve was rotted out.

/ Beet Juice (a.k.a. Rim Guard) #10  
I did the rv antifreeze from tractor supply. It was on sale which helped some. Had to buy a liquid pump and the proper adaptor to put it in the tires.

In addition to dealers filling tires I have heard some Coop places will fill tires as well.