Over the tire tracks

/ Over the tire tracks #1  

1gr8bldr

Silver Member
Tractor
Fordson Super Dexta and S250Turbo Bobcat
I would like to purchase a set of over the tire tracks for my bcat S250. What is the best set for the money?

/ Over the tire tracks #2  
I have McLaren rubber tracks on my New Holland LS170. They made my machine much more versatile. However, they are difficult to take up the slack and get them as tight as you want. I've suggested to them a redesign of their tightening tool, but it went nowhere. Still, I'd buy the McLarens again.

/ Over the tire tracks #3  
If your talking metal tracks, I've run Grouser brand. Not quite the flotation of the "plate type" (Loegering) has but i believe much more traction. They'll turn your S 250 onto a whole different beast.

Attachments

• April snow& graderblade 004.jpg
    April snow& graderblade 004.jpg
    1,005.5 KB · Views: 2,026
   / Over the tire tracks
If your talking metal tracks, I've run Grouser brand. Not quite the flotation of the "plate type" (Loegering) has but i believe much more traction. They'll turn your S 250 onto a whole different beast.
That machine has the lowest center of gravity I have ever seen on a skidsteer. That is what I need. LOL, For some reason, my nerves go crazy if I get my S250 out of level. It feels like it is about to roll

/ Over the tire tracks #5  

That's a beast! Ever had any motor or bearing failures running tracks?

/ Over the tire tracks #6  
bldr. They seriously change the nature (and ability) of your machine. You'll wonder how you ever got by without them in soils that are the slightest bit wet or "clayish". They will also add about 1200# of weight down low for added stability. The only noticeable side effect that I've noticed is extended tire wear! PapaP, No machine issues at all. I've had that brand on a JD & NH machines, all with no troubles.

/ Over the tire tracks
bldr. They seriously change the nature (and ability) of your machine. You'll wonder how you ever got by without them in soils that are the slightest bit wet or "clayish". They will also add about 1200# of weight down low for added stability. The only noticeable side effect that I've noticed is extended tire wear! PapaP, No machine issues at all. I've had that brand on a JD & NH machines, all with no troubles.
Been awhile, but I saw it first hand 20 years back when a farmer left my field with 2 feet deep ruts perpendicular to the grade. Like I had 25 dams in my field. We had two machines. The only one that could go in there was the one with tracks. But I assume they are better now, more options, better quality and install friendly. I was wondering.... do they have any advantage to a machine that has tracks. I have always wished I had a track machine, but that deal did not fall in my lap like the tire unit did. My intent is not entirely traction. It is for getting through a wet spot without leaving ruts. I recently got new shoes. My machine had the Hudgedson rims and tires. They are heavvvvvy. I weighted one once. Around 350 if I recall

/ Over the tire tracks #8  
I can't give you an opinion from an "ownership" perspective, but I have used a dedicated (CTL) machine. The CTL flotation, waaaay better, traction in dirt/woods situations, way less. I've seen estimates that the operational costs per hour on a CTL can be double that of a wheeled machine.
They are also superior in fine grading, it may take a few more passes, but a real "operator" on a SS will achieve the same results.
I think a lot of guy's that have CTL's don't need them, that is a SS would do. But the "cool" factor is higher on the CTL for sure.
If money grew in trees, I'd have one of each and one of Bobcat's "A" or all wheel steer model. :cool2: They each have their strong points. I know your down south, but we've got something up here called snow. The CTL on packed snow or ice is the origin of the saying "like a pig on ice" You can "stud" them but the studs are a buck each and I bet you could put 500 in each track. 4 tire chains are $300 thereabout.
And to answer you, the metal OTT's will not leave anywhere near the rut that a tire only machine would. They do provide some flotation, Especially the Logering brand Loegering :: MAKE TRACKS
If you visit their site you'll also see their VTS system, I haven't heard any bad thing about them. They are showing up (used) at many Cat dealers, I think that they outfitted a lot of their rental machines with them before the came out with their own undercarriage and were using the (poor) ASV u/c that made the machines just about throw away's when u/c replacement time came.

/ Over the tire tracks #9  
I run Loegering tracks on my case 90 xt which has 33/15.50-16.5 tires so the track are about 18" 1/2 inches wide. I got about 1800 hours on tracks I haven't had problems with motor or bearing failures. I would rather have a over the tire tracks then (CTL) machine. I have ran both but the rubber track machine I have got them frozen ground and muddy slopes where rubber tracks would only spin and the steel track machine was used to pull the rubber track back the hill.
I had a peterbilt dump truck that was 55,400 pound buried up to the axles and I pulled it out with a case 90 xt with steel tracks. I was surprised that skidsteer done it.
I used that skidsteer to spread torpedo sand for Wisconsin mound septic systems and my my competitors that bought CTL machines wouldn't use them on spreading sand because the sand destroyed the undercarriage. The local health department inspector was telling me how nice high rubber track skidsteer was on installing mound systems. I told him the truth which he didn't believe me tell I told him what the machine should look like after running in sand. It will have a polished look to bucket and, tires or tracks and lower panels on machine. I told him there department shouldn't go out requiring contactors to buy machines that will not work for the job they require them to be use on.

/ Over the tire tracks #10  
I have owned several brands of metal tracks. Loegering, Grouser, McClaren(used) and even own a set of the VTS rubber tracks $$$.
I think the grouser is the best overall design for most applications. The machine will get good traction and the tires will get good grip on
the metal bars. The pad type of track is nicer on turf but in very slick mud the tires can spin inside the tracks and make it tougher to get
moving. I bought a slightly used set of McClaren tracks they work well just seem a little harder to put on and harder to adjust the tension correctly. I love the VTS rubber tracks but I have had some wheel bearing issues on the machine prob more due to us overloading the machine to way beyond what the machine is rated.