I found out what the horrible smell of new tires is..

/ I found out what the horrible smell of new tires is.. #1  

lamanated

Silver Member
Tractor
BX2360 JD 425 jd 455
Talking to a gentleman today who mentioned he was in the rubber business..so I asked him what the smell is on the new tires at harbor freight is. I have a good friend who works at Michelin, they use Carbon black to make the tires black. the Chinese use coal dust to make their tires black,,,

/ I found out what the horrible smell of new tires is.. #2  
I always assumed that was just the smell of China.

/ I found out what the horrible smell of new tires is.. #3  

Very good:thumbsup: That particular answer also begs the question , what particular color are Chinese tires before they get "paint".. Sorta makes you wonder what effect this has on all that legendary cracking they seem to have.

/ I found out what the horrible smell of new tires is.. #4  

Let me add that I don't mean this as a slight to China. I lived in England when I was young, and it was common to burn coal (and even peat) for residential heat, and to me England smells like coal smoke. Kind of like the inside of a Harbor Freight, perhaps less oily and more acrid. Since China is a huge coal-burning country I assumed it smelled the same way and the smell just carried over when stuff was shipped here.

/ I found out what the horrible smell of new tires is.. #5  
Talking to a gentleman today who mentioned he was in the rubber business..so I asked him what the smell is on the new tires at harbor freight is. I have a good friend who works at Michelin, they use Carbon black to make the tires black. the Chinese use coal dust to make their tires black,,,
Citation needed.

/ I found out what the horrible smell of new tires is.. #6  
I thought it was always Chinese cosmoline.

But I notice the horrible new tire smell too at Discount Tire.

/ I found out what the horrible smell of new tires is.. #7  
I thought it was always Chinese cosmoline.

But I notice the horrible new tire smell too at Discount Tire.

Probably because a large percentage of tires at discount tire are Chinese origon.

I've always wondered what that HF smell was, now I know. Ricetires....

/ I found out what the horrible smell of new tires is.. #8  
Don't the Chinese get a percentage of their coal from us????

/ I found out what the horrible smell of new tires is.. #9  
   / I found out what the horrible smell of new tires is.. #10  
Don't the Chinese get a percentage of their coal from us????

I don't buy this "coal dust" business at all. Most tire compounds have carbon black as a strength/wear additive. Some have a silica compound instead. But someone is going to have to show me some evidence of that other than one anonymous friend in the business.